mixing brands of power tubes

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

mixing brands of power tubes

Postby power lover on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:16 am

RFT, old Tesla, telefunken, xf2's. As long as they are matched within %10-20, any problem with mixing any of these with one another?
power lover
Knight

Re: mixing brands of power tubes

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:48 pm

I had mixed really old tubes in my 68 sfdr when I got it, sounded great. recently tested both and found one to be right on the verge of death so I replaced with new matched TAD's. Same sound!
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Re: mixing brands of power tubes

Postby PeterS on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:04 am

any problem with mixing any of these with one another?

No problem.
PeterS
King

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components