Kt66 Questions. This is kinda outside my knowledge set.

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

Kt66 Questions. This is kinda outside my knowledge set.

Postby Noel on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:13 pm

Hey guys,

I have a line on a Reverend Hellhound for a great deal. Interestingly, the last owner put Kt66s in it in place of the 6L6s.

OK. So, I acknowledge up front this is one of those "if all things being equal..." kinda questions. I know they never are. Just looking for general direction here.

What do you guys find is the biggest "typical" difference tonally between the same amp running a descent pair of 6L6s and Kt66s?

I've typically run El34s "Marshall"-type amps through the years, so this is a little outside my norm. Also, what do you think is the best current-manufacture Kt66? Tung-Sol? JJ? Can't really afford to spring for NOS or even the Gold Lion reissues.

As always thanks a TON for any thoughts!
1976 Ibanez Destroyer with routed Floyd Rose
2009 Carvin CS6C (Floyd Rose)
1974 Gibson LP Special 55
1987 Laney Pro Tube 30 Wt Head
1986 Keith Reinneger Reinowatt 50 (hot rodded 2204 Circuit)
1974 Orange 4x12 with 2 Weber Silver Bells and 2 Weber-reconed H30 55hz
Noel
Knight

Re: Kt66 Questions. This is kinda outside my knowledge set.

Postby pdf64 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:12 pm

Is the amp suitable for KT66? They draw nearly 50% more heater current and are generally used with higher value load impedances than 6L6GC.
If it is intended for 6L6 type tubes then that's probably the best choice, there is a wide selection available.
However, I've seen it reported that Tung Sol KT66 are just their 6L6 re-packaged, so they might be fine.
Pete
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby OldSchoolDave on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Noel wrote:What do you guys find is the biggest "typical" difference tonally between the same amp running a descent pair of 6L6s and Kt66s?

I took part in a tube-tasting exercise a few years ago and, to my recollection, there wasn't nearly the difference between those two tubes as between either of them and EL34's. Compared to EL34's, the 6L6's sounded punchier and, well, more Fendery.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby pdf64 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:22 pm

If you were swapping different tube types into the same amp, perhaps you weren't getting the best out of the particular tubes types, as they are intended for / generally used in, differing operating conditions.
Pete
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby OldSchoolDave on Thu May 01, 2014 3:16 am

pdf64 wrote:If you were swapping different tube types into the same amp, perhaps you weren't getting the best out of the particular tubes types, as they are intended for / generally used in, differing operating conditions.

We were adjusting the bias and using 2 or 4 of any particular tube, based upon their impedance. Mark was handling all that. I was just another pair of ears.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Noel on Thu May 15, 2014 4:47 am

OK. So I've been playing this Hellhound for about a week, and I have to say, this is a heck of an amp. I was impressed by it's basic tone. It doesn't have nearly as much preamp gain as I'm used to, but the basic 'building block' is very impressive. I don't know how different it would be with 6L6s, but at this point I don't care!
Joe Naylor made some point on his site that they could be prone to noise since the heaters are using AC instead of DC. But it's pretty quiet even with my Keeley-modded Tube Screamer hitting it. So I'm jazzed on this thing.

I might try one of those faux tube thangs Soldano is huxtering on his Jet City site. Just see if bumping up the preamp drive is cool.

Another oddity is it doesn't have a choke, which with AC on the heaters you'd think was a logical thing to do. Guess if there's room that's pretty easy to add.

Anywhoo, don't know enough to have a solid thought on the KT-66's, but so far so good. They sure are weird looking though. Guess I'm so used the El34's, they just look alien.
1976 Ibanez Destroyer with routed Floyd Rose
2009 Carvin CS6C (Floyd Rose)
1974 Gibson LP Special 55
1987 Laney Pro Tube 30 Wt Head
1986 Keith Reinneger Reinowatt 50 (hot rodded 2204 Circuit)
1974 Orange 4x12 with 2 Weber Silver Bells and 2 Weber-reconed H30 55hz
Noel
Knight

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components