Need Info: Amp Tube Assortment

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

Need Info: Amp Tube Assortment

Postby gmessier on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:28 pm

I recently found an assortment of amplifier tubes in my junk pile, and would like to obtain more information about them. I don't own any amplifiers, nor do I know very much about tubes. As I have no use for these tubes myself, I am trying to find out who (if anyone) might be interested in buying them, how I can go about getting them tested, and how much I should charge.

The tubes I have are:

-3x Westinghouse 12AX7A
-1x Mullard EL84
-1x Mullard 5651
-1x Mullard EN91-2D21
-1x Telefunken EF-804

If anyone can tell me anything at all about these items, it would be most appreciated.
gmessier
Peasant

Re: Need Info: Amp Tube Assortment

Postby OldSchoolDave on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:39 pm

gmessier wrote:I am trying to find out who (if anyone) might be interested in buying them, how I can go about getting them tested, and how much I should charge.

Most interest would be in the 12AX7's and the one EL84 (although they're usually used in pairs, so one is not as easy a sell).

The others are not widely used in guitar amps. Google each model and maybe you'll find a potential use/clientele.

Either sell them as-is or find someone with a calibrated tube tester. The former represents a gamble for the buyer and the latter will maximize your price (assuming the tubes actually test strong and are not microphonic).

In any case, take good close-up (macro setting) pictures and post them on a photo hosting site. Pictures along won't tell the whole story, but they might convince someone to take a chance on the tubes' remaining useful life.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components