Advice on selling 2x GEC KT77 (zd-z)

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

Advice on selling 2x GEC KT77 (zd-z)

Postby lakitu on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:59 pm

I've had these valves for about 15 years myself....I took them out of an old Traynor YB1a which I bought for £35 from some young kid in a punk bad (still smiling about that purchase). From what I've read on your forums they are exactly the same as some guy asking questions about a year ago....1968 made in Hammersmith (the ZD-Z bit)....Anywho!.....Im flogging the pair of them. They still work although they have been well used (and possibly abused by the looks of them)........I do need advice on where to sell them please if possible....Would eBay be a good idea>? As there seems to be so few of them around would people be actually searching eBay for them? I'm just kind of hoping they are worth a few quid to someone as I've only used them 15 years a go for a month and they've been sitting in a box on a shelf since then.

Any info would be great thank you kind people....I've been reading loads on here all day and you appear to have a decent crowd.

Here is a link to a picture i've just taken.
http://oi40.tinypic.com/o540g4.jpg
lakitu
Peasant

Re: Advice on selling 2x GEC KT77 (zd-z)

Postby Lyre-crunch on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:24 am

You could try the classified ads section here? I've looked into selling on ebay a few times and with all the fees and other hassles it's not very tempting, but the plus side is a worldwide market. The only other places I can think of are some audiophile forums. Wherever you sell, well focused pictures (like the one you have) help a lot, at least that's what I like as a buyer. Worth more than a few quid!
Lyre-crunch
Page

Postby OldSchoolDave on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:30 pm

To minimize the risk for a potential buyer and maximize your profit, get the tubes tested. Tube testers vary, so it'll be important to note make and model, along with its max and min rating for KT77's. From the picture, there appears to be plenty of flashing left. That's a good, but not a definitive, sign of remaining life.

Recording and posting a quality video/audio clip of the tubes in action would be taking the next step.

I'm sure someone will be interested as-is, but a little bit of documentation would go a long way to identifying their true value.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby lakitu on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Thanks for the reply chaps....As it goes i was planning on warming the little buggers up in my amp for a video demo, but that's about all i can manage... Finding a tube tester is pretty much an impossible task for me and they don't come cheap as you probably know...There is little info out there on these exact tubes other than something someone posted on these forums a while back about these exact ones (same model and codes exactly which is lucky)....I think letting them go in the melee of eBay is going to be my only option now as i don't have much knowledge or info about them. Hopefully they'll go to some obsessive tone seeker that can stick them in something old and show off about it on your forums.

I probably stick a post up when i get round to selling them see if anyone here wants a bid.....

One more thing....Any ideas how much i should start the bidding at? I now know that they are pretty much rare as hell so i'm now worried about selling them for too little as i'd rather hang on to them than get £20.
lakitu
Peasant

Postby Lyre-crunch on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:47 am

I suggest you look through current and completed listings of used GEC KT66, KT88 and Mullard EL37 to get an idea of realistic pricing. These are similar rare(ish) and sought after tubes. Summer is usually quiet for tube sales, so it's not the best time for 99p listings. It's a good idea to have EL34 and 6CA7 in your auction title (similar specs), because I suspect few will be specifically looking for old stock KT77's, but might still be interested. Regarding testers, only the best expensive ones test at or close to real amp voltages, so knowing they work in an amp is a very good test IMO, although it doesn't tell you much about matching.
Lyre-crunch
Page

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components