Whizzer removal ?

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Whizzer removal ?

Postby timmyo on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:37 pm

OK, let's assume I've decided to try and remove the whizzer from this 70s Celestion G12H PA/Organ cab speaker :

Where exactly am I cutting ? just outside the dust cap that you can see here ? Or below that where the whizzer meets the main cone ?

Any pointers would be very welcome !

ta

Tim
'77 JMP MkII 2104 combo
timmyo
Court Jester

Postby 1953Vintage on Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:25 pm

Honestly, I'm not being flip here, okay... but if I were you, I'd sell what is possibly a valuable speaker and use the proceeds to buy the speaker(s) you want (this one to be).

Once cut there's no turning back (without a non-vintage recone).

FWIW and respectfully.
Visit the Sound City Site!
1953Vintage
Baron

Re: Whizzer removal ?

Postby Roy Boltz on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

timmyo wrote:OK, let's assume I've decided to try and remove the whizzer from this 70s Celestion G12H PA/Organ cab speaker :

Where exactly am I cutting ? just outside the dust cap that you can see here ? Or below that where the whizzer meets the main cone ?

Any pointers would be very welcome !

ta

Tim

Well, I'm not shure how valuable that speaker is, I don't think they are that collectable, but in fainess to what 1953Vintage says, once the whizzer cone is off, there is no going back, besides, the speaker probably wont sound like a G12H30 guitar speaker
as the cone is completely different.
Mind you,, it may sound great with guitar just the same, you may experience more cone distortion or "cone cry" as the cone doesn't have any reinforcing grooves or ribs.
Roy Boltz
King

Postby timmyo on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:43 pm

I can certaily see that point of view.

Hmm.

Where would one tout such a speaker or identify its worth ?

thanks,

Tim
'77 JMP MkII 2104 combo
timmyo
Court Jester

Postby Swarty on Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:02 pm

With an exacto knife and a steady hand cut it as close to the main cone as you can. Wizzer cones sound real nasty for guitar. There is a real good chance you can turn a worthess speaker into a decent or better guiltar speaker.... and if the results are not up to par you can have it reconed into anything you want.
Swarty
Baron

Postby timmyo on Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Swarty wrote:With an exacto knife and a steady hand cut it as close to the main cone as you can. Wizzer cones sound real nasty for guitar. There is a real good chance you can turn a worthess speaker into a decent or better guiltar speaker.... and if the results are not up to par you can have it reconed into anything you want.

this is kind of my thinking.

so (and sorry to be so needy) on my pic above, can we see where I need to cut, or am I aiming down in the well where the 2 cones meet ?
'77 JMP MkII 2104 combo
timmyo
Court Jester

Postby PeterS on Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:34 pm

I wonder if you'd have more success ungluing it? I've taken dustcaps off using lacquer thinner applied with a little paintbrush to dissolve the glue... might work here.
PeterS
King

Postby Swarty on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:49 pm

Disolving the glue might work, however, it appears that the dust cover may be glued into the wizzer which would mean you would have to reglue the dust cover. If you go the exacto route, yes, right there where the 2 surfaces meet.... you could even take it in 2 steps with the first one taking it down to a half inch or so from the cone and the next one cutting the remaining 1/2 inch or so. It will not hurt anything to leave 1/8" there.
Swarty
Baron

Postby mad dog on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:58 pm

Hate to disagree with the renowned Swarty, but here I must. My Magnatone M10A came stock with a Jensen C12PS with the whizzer cone. Don't know about celestions, but this one had (has) the coolest sound for guitar, at least in that amp. Especially on open tuning stuff with a tele, turned up loud, sounded like the amp might explode. An unusual and effective tone. I played with a guy who kept looking at the amp like it might bite him. In my book, that's the right stuff.

Anyway, I swapped it out for a CRex in search of volume and headroom. Got that for sure, but really miss the Jensen and whizzer. To the point I might put it back in. My amp tech told me to cut the whizzer off. Good thing for once I didn't listen.
mad dog
Certified

Postby lyman on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:14 pm

1953Vintage wrote:Honestly, I'm not being flip here, okay... but if I were you, I'd sell what is possibly a valuable speaker and use the proceeds to buy the speaker(s) you want (this one to be).

Once cut there's no turning back (without a non-vintage recone).

FWIW and respectfully.

excellent point.
lyman
Certified

Postby johnnysavant on Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:20 pm

Have you played through this as is? Whizzers often sound bad for guitar (brittle not smooth breakup), but not always.

There's a chance that without the whizzer, this speaker may not have enough HF to satisfy you for guitar.

The accordion surround indicates a very bassy cone...Maybe 40-4000 Hz w/o the whizzer.

I'd sell it and get one designed for guitar.
johnnysavant
Knight

Postby timmyo on Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:03 pm

I decided to try and sell as is, as you say someone may really want it in original condition. If you knaow anyone who might be please feel free to direct them here or do a search on UK eBay,

ta

Tim
'77 JMP MkII 2104 combo
timmyo
Court Jester

Postby Hardtack on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:12 pm

I have a pair of 1968 Celestion G12h 30 PA speakers with pulsonic cones, whizzer removed and installed in a boutique 68 plexi blues breaker cab, man alive they are freaky ! Who would have thought! But I love em !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deankenne ... 628505064/
Hardtack
Peasant

Postby Somerset on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:38 pm

The Celestion T1925s I've played through have all been great for guitar (for me anyway) - but never tried removing the whizzers - partly out of fear of whoops, here comes mary anne with shaky hand.....
Somerset
Certified

Return to Speakers and Cabinets