Here's some stuff to break your speakers in with....

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Here's some stuff to break your speakers in with....

Postby ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:59 pm

Here are 4 tracks i just dooped from my ///Alpine Car Audio Test Disc.

I thought with a lot of people asking about speaker break-in lately i'd throw this up for you to download and abuse your speakers with :twisted:

Track 1 is a 1khz test tone. This is a good one for upper midrange break-in.... probably the most sensitive frequency to human hearing, and very prominent in a guitar speaker.

Track 2 is a 200hz tone. Great for that low-mid break in.
(82hz is low-E when tuned A440 BTW)

Track 3 is Pink Noise, or White Noise, or "Poltergeist" :lol: .... if you hear voices, yer speshial....

Track 4 is a tune called "Tied Up" by Yello. This one has a lot of great percussive attack. Great low-mids with the voice/bass, great midrange with the horns/guitar, and highs to go along with it. It'll loosen up the tightest beeotch you can throw at it.

A couple of these are around 4meg so ya'll with dial-up it may take a while.. but i'll leave the files up a few days so just hook up and leave it till youre done.

A note from the disc:

This CD was produced using first generation digital masters with no signal processing or data compression.

The digital data from the masters was loaded onto the Sonic Solutions Hard Disc Mastering System, controlled by a Macintosh II FX CPU. All data transfer was through the Sonic Solutions Optical Connection System. Data was mastered through a modified Sony 1630 PCM to a Sony DMR 4000, utilizing AMPEX 467 tape.

All analog mastering of test tones was through Apogee AD 500 analog to digital converters.

Anyway, have fun but be careful!

I'm not responsible for blown cones!

All files 192kbps mp3. Just re-rip to wav burn to disc and get crackin.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/sunsetsblaze/200hz_Tone.mp3

http://www.members.shaw.ca/sunsetsblaze/Pink_Noise.mp3

http://www.members.shaw.ca/sunsetsblaze ... _YELLO.mp3
Last edited by ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¤klÿn¡§§¤
Dances With Valves

Postby shooto on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:54 pm

thanks! leave it up for a bit--I'm out of town right now..will DL when I get home-
shooto
Certified

Postby ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:48 am

Sure. No prob.

I've got the files on the drive now anyway so even if they go down periodically just message me and i can send em over.

:)
¤klÿn¡§§¤
Dances With Valves

Postby T.G.3-55 on Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:04 am

So I hook up what to what after the d/l to begin the process? I can't run a mp3 thru my amp. Yeah I'm new to this.
T.G.3-55
Squire

Postby bolero on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:24 am

since they've gone to all that trouble to record lossless, high quality tracks, & use all that crazy high fidelity gear, wouldn't it make more sense to post these in a lossless compression like FLAC, instead of mp3?

FLAC = Free Lossless Audio Codec

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

then we could convert to .wav with no degradation from the original CD, and burn our own CD's
bolero
Squire

Postby ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:01 am

Well i posted the recording info just for kicks.

I really don't expect you to sit there and listen to an endless loop of "Tied Up" ... we're talking about breaking in speakers here.

The tune is a good one though. Lots of dynamics... compression or not. :wink:
¤klÿn¡§§¤
Dances With Valves

Postby EADGBE on Fri May 19, 2006 11:22 am

I think speakers should be broken in slowly while playing. I think they'll sound better that way.
EADGBE
Certified

Postby ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Fri May 19, 2006 11:27 pm

EADGBE wrote:I think speakers should be broken in slowly while playing. I think they'll sound better that way.

The problem is, that many speakers sound like utter shyt when new and it takes a lot of patience to "break them in slowly"

I've gotten great deals on speakers for this very reason.

Guys just give up on them because they dont have patience and "move on to something else" only to possibly repeat the same pattern.

I believe a nice headstart by "cheating" is just fine - and in many cases, its essential :wink:
¤klÿn¡§§¤
Dances With Valves

Postby Star*Guitar on Fri May 26, 2006 12:13 pm

Come on...a week of playing an hour a day is all it takes to break speakers in....

I don't get it either...

I agree with EADGBE.
Star*Guitar
Star*Guitar
Baron

SPEAKER BREAK IN

Postby bluze 81 on Tue May 30, 2006 8:56 pm

What would you estimate break in time would be, real live guitar playing for celestion green back style speakers ,any ideas. thanks bluze
bluze 81
Squire

Postby ragtweed on Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:47 pm

Isn't it more hip to just spray a little Febreze on the cones?
I got my mojo workin'
ragtweed
Squire

Postby ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:07 pm

ragtweed wrote:Isn't it more hip to just spray a little Febreze on the cones?

Fabric softener will loosen up the cone (fibres) but doesnt do anything to settle the mechanical factors of a new driver, which is what we're talking about here.

Some speakers take longer to settle in than others. I had a pair of early Weber Thames that seemed stubborn. Others were less trouble.

Trust your ears :wink:
¤klÿn¡§§¤
Dances With Valves

Postby Muletone on Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:51 am

I've got a nice setup to variac speakers to loosen them up. It works like a champ for me. In fact, I'm going to double my produciton. I've got another on the way. :wink:
Muletone

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:44 am

since they've gone to all that trouble to record lossless, high quality tracks, & use all that crazy high fidelity gear, wouldn't it make more sense to post these in a lossless compression like FLAC, instead of mp3?

FLAC = Free Lossless Audio Codec

Its like he's trying to communicate, I totally think he's trying to tell us something!.....

Eeep Opp Ork, Ah-Ah :P
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby yabasta! on Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:53 am

I believe a nice headstart by "cheating" is just fine - and in many cases, its essential

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying :lol:
sixstrings.
yabasta!
Page

Next

Return to Speakers and Cabinets