FS: Celestion V12-80, 8 ohm, excellent cond., $35

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

FS: Celestion V12-80, 8 ohm, excellent cond., $35

Postby Michael Patrick on Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:25 am

More spam from Mr. Patrick...

I've got this 8-ohm Celestion Silver Series V12-80 sitting around doing nothing, thought maybe someone here would have a use for it.

The codes date it to January 27, 1998 (27AG).

Harmony Central reviews are positive on this speaker. .. The speaker is in excellent condition, the only thing keeping me from describing it as "like new" is some solder on the contacts.

It will be shipped in a double box specifically designed for 12" speakers (plus another outer box and lots of packing material), so you can be sure it'll arrive in one piece.

Price is $35 + $7 shipping via FedEx Ground in the lower 48. Shipping will be more in other parts of the world, but I'll only charge you the actual amount (I won't gouge you, it's not my style...). PayPal (I'll eat the fees), cashier's checks, money orders, cash, gold bars, and fluffers all gladly accepted.

Shoot me a PM or email if you are interested.

Cheers,

MP
The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down
Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Postby Michael Patrick on Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:33 pm

Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Postby DunxB on Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:10 pm

Not strictly relevant, but some may be interested in the history of this model.
It started life with a special for Hughes & Kettner, who wanted a G12M character but with higher power rating and less thermal compression. Another, similar speaker was done around the same time for Marshalls JTM30 combo, as they wanted a cross between their G12T (Valvestate 1) and a G12M, broadly similar to H&K's request. The speakers weren't the same, but were pretty close. A few other companies expressed interest in vintage toned speakers at lower cost and higher power handling, and the Silver Series (V12-80, V12-60, V10-40 at first) began under the project title 'value vintage', aimed only at manufacturers.
About this time, an engineer at an amp company claimed to have designed their version of the V12-80, claiming to have also designed the Vintage 30. This annoyed us, so we decided to issue the V12-80 as a standard product called the 'Vintage 50'. In the end common sense prevailed, and the Silver Series name was chosen. We had also been working on a 15" for a few US companies, and decided to include this as the V15-100, and the nice chaps at Crate decided to use Silver Series for their new amp range, but needed a 60W 10", so the V10-60 rounded out the range.

I'm still proud of those speakers. A few suppliers caused us problems, and the V15 got made in tiny quantities because we could never get a reliable supply of cones, and the V10-60 didn't sound as good as the prototypes again due to a cone problem (related to a very old tool).
All in all though, they sounded good, were value for money and got put in some great amps. It's a shame most of them are no longer made.
DunxB
Squire

Postby Michael Patrick on Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:17 pm

That's good stuff, DunxB. I could have used that info in my auction text... :wink:
Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Re: FS: Celestion V12-80, 8 ohm, excellent cond., $35

Postby tonelabequa on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Sorry to resurrect this old thread.

DunxB, thanks for the information so far....

I have a Engl Screamer 50W combo which was originally loaded with Celestion V12-80. I always liked that speaker, but sound samples told me the Vintage 30 would be more detailed and rich. Also, this amp model currently comes stock with a Vintage 30.

So I recently put in a well broken-in Vintage 30. It turned out that it has too prominent mids for my taste (maybe the amp already has plenty..) , and I also didn't like the top end, too "hi-fi" somehow. Cool for distorted leads, but not my cup of tea for crunchy rhythym or Cleans.

I likely will switch back to the V12-80, but I was thinking: Which current- production Celestion [or other brand] is similar to the discontinued V12-80? Is there an option with a bit more output [V12- 80 sensitivity is 97 dB, Vintage 30 100 dB].

Thx for help
tonelabequa
Peasant

Return to Speakers and Cabinets