Eminence Governor, Private Jack?

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Eminence Governor, Private Jack?

Postby scottp on Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:01 am

Has anybody done direct comparisons of these two speakers with a G12H30 in a 4X12? I want something for a 4X12 that has more bottom than a greenback and will handle more power without sounding stiff.

FWIW, I hate Vintage 30s and their upper midrange spike. I love the low end response of Mesa Custom 90s but they are a bit too shrill and clean for my tastes.

Thanks!
scottp
Squire

Re: Eminence Governor, Private Jack?

Postby MARCO on Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:30 am

The Eminence GB12 was the first attempt at a Greenback Reissue. 50 watts ahndling and an extended botton end, much sweeter as well....Otherwise , try the Private jack. It is 50 watts as well and sounds very similar to the Greenback, more so than the GB12 but lacks a tad in the bottom end compared to the GB12.
I too have a love/hate with the Vintage30. Seems that speaker works well with EL34 tubes and high gain applications. I had Custom 90's in my Mesa 1x12 cabs and it took me 7 years to get them to sound sweet. Private Jacks are the way to go.
MARCO

Postby scottp on Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:06 am

Thanks Marco!

Has anybody else done direct comparisons of these two Eminence models to G12H30s?
scottp
Squire

Postby bruthagoose on Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:15 am

scott,
there is more information on the new eminence line than you could ever want at
the gear page-eminence thread
the guy from roccaforte amps started and maintained the thread for about the first 40 pages (where i stopped reading and ordered two governors- and yes i liked'em...i did end up replacing them with early rola greenbacks for the moment)
this'll tell you all you ever wanted to know about the new eminence line of speakers.
good luck, bG :D
i know it's only rock n roll but i liiiike it!
bruthagoose
Certified

Postby scottp on Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:49 am

Brutha:

Thanks for the suggestion but I have been through that entire post several times. That is how I narrowed down my choice to the The PJs or Govs. However, all I could get out of it was a comparison between those two stating the PJ was a bit brighter with a bit less bass than the Gov. They also say that the PJs are "better" in 4X12s but nobody defines what "better" is.

What I am hoping for is if someone here with an ear towards classic Marshall tone has compared either of these two models to a G12H30.

I want something thick with a big lowend that breaks up smoothly and will handle 30 or more Watts. The Governor seems to be the pick for that but these comparisons to a Vintage 30 have me hesitant. For only $70 a pop, I should just buy 4 Govs and try it.
scottp
Squire

Postby jcs on Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:36 pm

sorry, i havent compared like you ask,but the governor doesnt sound like vintage 30s anymore than the eminence v12 did,yet both of these were supposed 'copies or inspired by vintage 30s'...

few speakers have the upper mid peak like a celestion v30 to my ears(of course i havent heard all speakers,lol!)..

occasionally i see some used governors,but most players seem to really like them, hence the rarity on the used market so far..
jcs
King

Postby bruthagoose on Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:20 pm

hey scott,
understood. maybe email the guy at roccaforte. he seems very approachable and is putting them into his cabs/amps now. he's super opinionated but also seems to have tons of experience with vintage gear. his gear page reads like the who's who of amps. he could probably give you the comparison you are looking for.
i liked the guv's and would recommend them (especially for the money) good tight bass, early breakup. mine were played for about 40 hours or so and think they had a ways to go to be really broken in. i got a tiny bit of brittleness that i think in part was associated to my amp, guitar, and the new speakers.
my '73 rola g12h30's are smoother, and a bit more complex in the mids to my ear. but again, i recommend the guv's. sounded like classic marshall to me, although i haven't been at this too long (so grain'a salt here) and as someone said, i don't think they'd be hard to sell if you didn't like them.
hope that helps, bG :)
bruthagoose
Certified

Postby scottp on Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:22 am

Thanks Brutha!

I probably will email Doug and see if he can better define the difference between the PJs and Govs in a 4X12 better than just saying he prefers the PJs.

How would you compare the lows of the Govs to your old G12H30s?

Right now, I have narrowed ny choice down to Govs or Avatar's Hellatone 30s. I am leaning more towards the Govs as it appears they have more bottom and are more durable. Would you concur that the Govs have a bit more lows than the G12H30s? Thanks!
scottp
Squire

Postby MARCO on Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:26 pm

The governor is like the Vintage30 and the P. Jack is like the Grteenback....not sure where u want to go but if u r comparing it to the G12H30, the P. Jack is closer. The G12H30 will have a sweeter bottom end emphasis on the mids. The P. Jack will have more a of a vintage vibe to it, as it is more like the Greenback but has a 50 watt rating which is nice. Eminence is coming thru with some nice sounding speakers. Its about time, I like Celestions but these new speakers are just as good and made in the USA.
MARCO

Postby bruthagoose on Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:36 am

i agree with marco...
the guv's are definitely less sweet and more growl. they kick ass for sure.

my nos g12h30's have way more soul. i guess it depends on what you are looking for, but in the end, i think you'll be happy with either (although i haven't heard the PJ's personally, from what everyone says, i think eminence has really figured it out)

email doug rocca, he seemed like he lives online and emailed back within minutes of all those comments on the other thread, plus he has tested those excessively.

good luck, i think you are on the right track. :)
bG
bruthagoose
Certified

Postby MARCO on Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:49 pm

i just put in my p. jacks into my diezel cab and they sound awesome. i now have a set of nice vintage sounding speakers and a set of nice modern sounding speakers in one cab, in an x-pattern. i opened up my slo-100 and they sound great !! eminence has 3 new red coat speakers now......check out their website !!
MARCO

Postby scottp on Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:25 pm

I sent an email to Roccaforte. He answered promptly but didn't really answer my questions.

My 73 Super Lead has already wasted a couple Green Backs in this cab and I have a Suhr OD100 arriving next week so I think I want something with a bit more durability than a GB or G12H30.

As far as I can tell, between the PJ and the Governor, The Governor appears to be the warmer sounding speaker with slightly more bottom so that is what I am going to try first. If I don't like the Govs, stay tuned to this thread. There may be some for sale soon. ;)
scottp
Squire

Postby MARCO on Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:33 pm

the gb12 legend series has a much better bottom than both the jacks and governor. it is the gb12 by emimence. hey check out the eminence website, they just added 2-3 new speakers to red coat line. ;)
MARCO

Postby scottp on Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:12 pm

Gee, thanks Marco! ;)

I just checked out the new Redcoats on their site and the Wizard sounds like it may be the Eminence take on a G12H30. I am putting the Govs on hold until I talk to someone at Eminence about the Wizards.

Stay tuned!
scottp
Squire

Postby Jafar on Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:46 pm

the new redcoats look pretty cool,but i think they could of took more time picking the names lol :D
Jafar
Peasant

Return to Speakers and Cabinets