1965 twin reverb speaker selection

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

1965 twin reverb speaker selection

Postby chrismara on Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:04 am

hello,

i was hoping someone could help me out. i have an original 1965 twin reverb without speakers. i want something very close to original and from my understanding, they used jensen c12n and oxford (somethingorother) speakers. what about 63 and 64? what about the few years after 65? does anyone have any speakers that would achieve the original tone of the amp?

thanks
chris
chrismara
Court Jester

Re: 1965 twin reverb speaker selection

Postby od2 on Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:50 am

The '65 would be Jensens, as well. The Twin Reverb sported Jensens from '64 until at least the late '70s. I'm not sure about '63, although sources indicate that they were equipt with Jensens... but you never know about the transitional years... Fender would purchase other speakers, Oxford, Utah...depending on availabilty/cost and would use up stock based on first in first out.
"Keep your money... I'll take my friends"
od2
Page

Postby chrismara on Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:03 am

what speaker would you reccomend? i see all kinds... P12Q,C12P,C12N..... Any I should stay away from? Any that anyone has had success with? Thanks for the help.. I'm not very familiar with Jensens...
chrismara
Court Jester

Postby od2 on Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:17 am

If you can find them, P12N would be your best choice... P12Qs are good, too The P12Rs are the least desireable, but if push comes to shove they work too. The "P" series are alnicos, which is what you want. The "C" series are ceramic, which you don't want. The Twin was one of the high-end, better equipped models, which meant the best speakers, normally.
od2
Page

Postby od2 on Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:31 am

I just read my post. When I said the P12Rs were the least desireable... I meant of the Concert series, which means they are certainly better than any of the standard Jensens. Basically it's the size of the voice-coil that is the difference within the Concert series... 'R' being the smallest and so on.
od2
Page

Postby twang on Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:40 am

I don't know much about the different Jensen models, but maybe you should consider what sound you are after, as speakers do make a big difference. I use either JBL D120s or SROs with my 68 Twin Reverb and either a tele with Barden pickups or an ASAT Classic. Normally I will use the JBLs if I'm after the classic Bakersfield sound, or the SROs if I'm after a Danny Gatton type of sound.
twang
Knight

Postby DreamTone7 on Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:45 pm

You need to consider power rating as well. I believe C12Ns came with two ratings....25 watt and 50 watt (Heavy Duty) versions. You need the 50 watt because of the power a Twin puts out. Beware of using P12Qs or P12Rs. Niether had the power handling to sit in a Twin for long. Someone who knows for sure about the P12N chime in....but the original was a C12N. I'd recommend a Weber because he has several versions of the C12N. Talk with him and he'll stear you in the right direction according to what you want.
He that hath an ear, let him hear.
DreamTone7
Baron

Postby od2 on Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:38 pm

You may want to do a bit of research. It's been my understanding that Fender was still using alnicos in '65 for the twin reverb. The reissues are indeed using ceramics, though. The original P12N was a 40watt speaker, while the P12R was a 25 watt, but again this is from my own research and I'm always ready to update my info if I'm wrong. I certainly don't want to pass any misinformation, but this is information that I have. However, it is also reported that the Jensen alnicos didn't hold up as consistently as the others. Sorry if I've confused things. I agree with getting the best speakers for the job that will best suit your needs. There are 50 watt replacement speakers, such as Webers, that would probably be your best bet. Or you can give the Twin Reverb to me. I miss my old '64 Deluxe Reverb, but your twin would be fine for me. ;)
od2
Page

Postby od2 on Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:03 pm

Did a bit of research on this... I keep a notebook on these things for my own use, so I want to be as correct as possible. Fender did indeed use both the P12N and the C12N in the Twin Reverb during that period. It's also true that the C12N was the better choice. The P12Ns apparently did not hold up well with the 85watt output of the T. R. and so the C12N was embraced as the better speaker. The word "shredded" which was used to describe the possible end result of the P12N is not reassuring. They went to Oxfords, sometime into the silverface era. Sorry again for the confusion. Leo Fender is laughing in his grave. Again, choosing Jensens may not be your best option for your replacement speakers, but they do sell them.
od2
Page

Postby chrismara on Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:46 pm

thanks for the help guys. i also wanted to chooce something close to original because i may have to sell it soon :( ! Money is short and I have too many amps lying around. I can't believe the shape that it is in either.
chrismara
Court Jester

Postby Saint on Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:48 pm

My $.02 worth on the Twin speakers: My 1965 Twin had mismatched speakers when I got it. I installed Jensen Re-issue C12N's. They sound great and are affordable. Several sets of good ears have heard it and agree it sounds like a good Twin should. Maybe original C12N's would sound better but who really knows what they sounded like new in 1965?
I'm not aware that Twins ever had Jensen Alnicos due to the power handling question. All I've ever heard are C12's and JBL's.
Saint
Peasant

Return to Speakers and Cabinets