Need help with G12H-30. Breaking in issues.

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Need help with G12H-30. Breaking in issues.

Postby touchstone001 on Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:53 am

Hey all
I've recently gooten hold of a pair of G12H's which is running into a 25W head. After a few days of playing I've noticed a bunch of wierd background noises or 'ghost notes' coming from the speakers when I play. I've tried another cab which doesn't have the problem. I'm wondering is this a common sound when breaking speakers in? It couldn't be from driving them too hard due to the wattage difference, so will this sound leave.

The other aspect of the speakers is that they are front mounted. Is that the best position for the G12H. Also how hard should they be screwed in? Should they be really tight, or with a bit of give?
Thanks
"There's very little meat in these gym mats" - Lunch Lady Doris
touchstone001
Peasant

Re: Need help with G12H-30. Breaking in issues.

Postby Mikeelzey on Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:09 pm

Pete - I'm no speaker expert but I've never experienced the ghost notes your describing. Since they don't appear with a different cab I'd suspect that either over-tightening the mounting screws is misaligning the magnet & cone, creating the noises or perhaps the cab needs some sound dampening material inside!??

When installing a speaker the mounting screws should be evenly hand tightened working your way zig-zag around the speaker - in other words tighten one screw most of the way, then tighten it's counter part directly on the opposite side. Continue with all the screws, then come back and make final tensioning in the same manner. Hope this helps.
Mikeelzey
Peasant

Return to Speakers and Cabinets