cab wiring: series/parallel vs parralel/series

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

cab wiring: series/parallel vs parralel/series

Postby Ronaldo on Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:39 am

Has anybody here actually done an A/B comparison between these two 4x12 wiring methods to determine if there is a noticeable difference?
Ronaldo
Peasant

Re: cab wiring: series/parallel vs parralel/series

Postby Rude Jude on Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:08 pm

Yes, and I do prefer the series/parallel. I almost sold my 74 slant because I couldn't stand the pronounced trebles. I ended up rewiring 3 cabs with new 14 ga wire, and with the last one, I decided to try something different...turned out to be very different. Forced me to rewire the previous other 2, as well!<P>The parallel/series wiring (left side and right side ea. wired in parallel, with a single jumper between them in series and one set of wires to the jack) was brighter, with accented highs. The lows were there, but hardly. The mids were flat. If you have a thick sounding amp, or use a very defined picking style, it would work for you. I hated the fact that you heard every swipe up the strings, and the leads were painfully thin (and that was with a stroked JMP Marshall and LP Custom-it was downright awful with an overly brite JCM800).<P>The series/parallel wiring (left side and right side ea. in series, with two sets of wires paralleled at the jack) was thicker, with more pronounced bass and mids. It sounded a bit lower in volume than before, but I think it was the reduced trebles having that effect. It doesn't take all that long to try it...especially if you are going to rewire with heavier wire. Female disconnects are easier to manipulate, but I prefer the soldered connections. Just my 2 cents.<P>I can turn my treble/presence back up now, and still have it nice and thick!<P>TJ
Rude Jude
Squire

Postby twang on Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:16 pm

That's interesting. If I'm following this right, each method gives a cab with 16 ohm impedance with four 16 ohm speakers. Or does one way give you 4 ohms? What would cause such a pronounced difference in sound?
twang
Knight

Postby Ronaldo on Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:31 pm

Very interesting. I have two Marshall 4x12 cabs - a 1960a, and a 1960av, both purchased in 2000. They are parallel/series (actually, depending on the impedence you select, they are either parallel/series, or parallel/parallel), and I think they are too bright. Anybody know how long Marshall has been wiring this way? Did they ever wire series/parallel?
Ronaldo
Peasant

Postby jcs on Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:52 pm

okay, i use all 8 ohm speakers,series wired in pairs(16 ohm) then plug both pairs in the 4x12 to the marshall set at 8 ohms...plugging 2 16 ohm loads into the marshall is then 8 ohms...it works beautifully the way tj described it....i can then use 2 amps with 1 cabinet as long as the amps will drive 16 ohms,i amp into each 16 ohm series wired pair!!...it is the best setup that i have tried,especially for marshalls....jcs
jcs
King

Postby Rude Jude on Thu Mar 14, 2002 5:51 pm

Twang...either method will yield the 16 ohms (if you are using 16 ohm units). G. Weber touched on this tonal difference in his hip amp book...I always figured it was a bunch of hooey...but there is a difference. Branch inductance, treble roll off, magic fairy dust.....<P>I don't know when they started doing it this way. My only stock 4x12 was an JCM800 slant...wired parallel/series. I noticed alot of the older 60's/70's cabs on ebay, with the backs pulled off, were wired differently (more wires used/2 pairs to the jack, etc.). It's definitely more efficient to do it like the 800's...less solders and less wire.<P>All I know is, I can turn my presence up to "noon", and my treble up to about 2 o'clock now. The bass has come down as well...big improvement. If it was an exceptionally clean cab with vintage appeal, I'd leave it alone. Most of my cabs were basket cases...so after I redid them, they were now really clean utility pieces - they now sound as good as they look.<BR>TJ
Rude Jude
Squire

Postby BloodHound on Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:09 am

Tizz weird but true...I had rewired my 4x12 with single leads and a jumper thinking simpler is better and at the same time changed a few other things in my setup..in-since I have been grappling with accented highs--missing mids-No bass..Amp controls set a T=7:00(off),M=Dimed, B=11:00..I never had to run the amp this way prior..was an annoyance..due to this thread, tonight before rehearsal, I put the cab back in its original config..two-leads etc..OK...THAT was the problem..amp config is now..T=10/11:00..M=2:00, B=9:00...fuller..rounder..happier and still cuts...learn something new everyday..Thanks.. :)
Bryant W. Jackson
Nag Champa
BloodHound
Certified

Postby six gun south on Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:03 pm

I also have to chime in here. If you have a modern 4-12 you have got to try the series parallel conection. It was a big improvement over parallel/series. The only downfall is that if you blow a speaker,the other speaker in that series will not work either. And if your using 16 ohm speakers the impedence jumps to 32 ohms. But hey,thats the way it was done by Marshall in the old cabinets I've seen.
DAVID R MATTINGLY
six gun south
Certified

Postby Zif on Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:27 am

i have the Marshall 1960B cabinet with 4 x 12" Stereo / Mono Switching, <BR>wired per the celestion site ( <A HREF="http://www.celestion.com/pro/pro.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.celestion.com/pro/pro.htm</A> ) <P>I'm changing out my gt-75's for g12H-30's.<BR>Can anyone tell me if its worthwhile to yank out the wiring i have now and go series/parallel?<P>Opinions? Oh, and i crave "brown" ;)<P>thanks!
Zif
Page

Return to Speakers and Cabinets