bassman 10 4X10 baffel board

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

bassman 10 4X10 baffel board

Postby Mungo Park on Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:40 am

Hello all.
I have just bought a 79 bassman 10 with a 4X10 cab. It has 1/2" particel board baffel board and particle board sealing the back of the cab. It is pine sides with no Tolex on it, I will get to that later on want to fix the baffel board first.
I want to replace the front and back with something better to get some vintage mojo.
So if I make up a front baffel board out of 6" wide pine boards what is the reccommended thickness.
What would be best for the back of the cab, more pine, same thickness.
Also I have read that the front should have no ports in it. Yes/No.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers Ron
Mungo Park
Peasant

Re: bassman 10 4X10 baffel board

Postby jaywalker on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:14 pm

I would suggest voidless baltic birch plywood for a replacement baffle board. The original is probably glued in and complete removal (unglueing) can be done but there may be a better way to go where you would revert back to the earlier "floating" baffle with mounting stringers to which the board is attached with screws. Somewhere I have a detailed method for unglueing a board for replacement.

p.s. NO to 6" pine boards
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:46 pm

+1 on the baltic birch. Avoid regular plywood as it can have hidden air pockets in it, with wood fragments bouncing around on the inside. the result can be a vibration that you can never find or fix.

Just be ready for the sticker shock when you buy the baltic birch. It is about twice the cost of 'cabinet grade' sold at home depot/lowes (who last time I checked don't carry baltic birch). You mostly need to go to a place that only sells wood to find it.

baltic birch has zero defaults, and is extremely dense, which makes it perfect for baffles and head cabs.

ports, and open backs, are a personal thing. A closed back with ports will direct most of the sonic energy in the direction of the speakers, open backs w/no ports will be a more open sound and spread in all directions (my preference)

I don't think pine would be a good solution for the baffle board, which needs to be very dense to transfer the vibration to the rest of the cab.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby pdf64 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:22 am

The baffle needs to be a stable FLAT surface; any warp, twist, curve etc will transfer to the speaker frames and may cause voice coil rub.
So making it from several pine boards butted together may have that result.
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby OldSchoolDave on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:09 pm

Unit_1 wrote:Just be ready for the sticker shock when you buy the baltic birch. It is about twice the cost of 'cabinet grade' sold at home depot/lowes (who last time I checked don't carry baltic birch). You mostly need to go to a place that only sells wood to find it.

AND, it comes in 5' x 5' sheets. Have your dimensions ready, in case a "full" sheet won't fit in your vehicle. Most dealers will make simple cuts for you.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:58 am

I just put them 5x5 sheets inside my 1967 Jeep Gladiator which the military converted into an M725 ambulance. Fits sideways, lengthwise and vertically in any desired configuration, lol.... It should, it's 17 feet long, 8 feet wide and 11.5 feet tall !!!!! Dry weight 8000 lbs.

Biggest multifuel straight six engine every made, cylinders the size of coffee cans (the big ones) and actually gets pretty good gas mileage! Grand Daddy to the Hummer.

This is not mine. I'm too lazy to go take pics, lol. Mine is bright yellow with a big yellow rotating light on top and a big metal PA speaker under the light. And MUCH nicer BF Goodrich 'Mudder' tires.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Return to Speakers and Cabinets