Really old 12" AlNiCo speaker, what is it??

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Really old 12" AlNiCo speaker, what is it??

Postby Stefhan on Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Since i'm new, I'll start off with a short intro. My name is Stefhan, im from the Netherlands. I use a modern amp (Marshall JVM410H), but have quite a couple of vintage cabs and speakers. I own 2 pre-rola G12Ms, 4 pulsonic rola G12Hs, 4 Blackback G12H's and 4 G12-65's, most of them in Marshall 4x12's, I also own 1 HH Electronics 412. I have a tiny bit of experience identifying, testing and repairing old celestions.

Along with two 69' G12M25's I recently bought one odd looking speaker, it appeared to sound pretty nice and I just thought it looked awesome, it cost me almost nothing.

Im really curious to find out what it is. It came from the same home-made cabinet as the pre-rolas, and it looks like it's an AlNiCo, so I have a feeling its pretty darn old. Unfortunately it is completely unmarked, there is a Dallas Arbiter combo/cabinet sticker on it that almost certainly has nothing to do with it. There once were two small stickers on the magnet but all there is left is glue residue.

Maybe someone here can recognize it? It reads 12 Ohms DC, so its a 16ohm speaker, 12 Inch, probably AlNiCo due to the shape. The cone looks like that of a guitar speaker, light corregation, small dustcap, and the movement is only slightly less stiff than that of the pre-rola g12ms.

Stefhan
Peasant

Re: Really old 12" AlNiCo speaker, what is it??

Postby OldSchoolDave on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:52 am

Welcome, Stefhan!

Off the top of my head, Goodmans and Norelco/Philips made some speakers with round holes in the frame. Yes, yours are definitely alnico magnets. Wish those original stickers had survived :( .

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Stefhan on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for having a look, i'll try and find out if its a Goodmans of Philips/Norelco. Philips/Norelco looks promising, doing a google image search I saw some wire terminals that are the same!
If anyone else has a clue, I'd love to hear it!

I think this speaker would be great in a self-made 15W tube combo, tomorrow I'll take my little 20w combo home from the rehearsal room so I can hook up the speaker and see how it sounds individually.

Stefhan
Stefhan
Peasant

Postby OldSchoolDave on Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Stefhan wrote:I think this speaker would be great in a self-made 15W tube combo,...

Could be - let us know how it turns out.

FWIW, I took a pair of Norelco Alnico 12's from a Gibson Crestline cab and mounted them in a brown combo cab with a '62 Fender Super amp chassis I rescued from ebay. Warm, woody and saggy - just what I was looking for out of that rig.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Return to Speakers and Cabinets