Introduction and 18" Speaker ID: Goodman or Fane?

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Introduction and 18" Speaker ID: Goodman or Fane?

Postby Roy69 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi everybody! I've been reading this board for a year or so, but now the time has come to unlurk.

My name is Peter, I'm from Germany, and I am mainly interested in brownface Fender amps.

I need your help identifying this 18" speaker that was in a beat-up de-tone-ringed blonde Showman cabinet I bought recently. The label sais Goodman Audiom 91, but the chassis looks more like a Fane.

The dust cap is made from some sheer fabric material (a bit like a see-through nighty).

I'm a complete stranger to 18" speakers. As far as I read on the web these were used singly in Vox Foundation bass cabinets, and in Selmer Goliath cabs. I have only tried this speaker with one of the Champs I have around the house, and it sounded quite nice with a guitar. I don't dare trying it with my Showman.

Does anyone actually use these for bass nowadays? And, what is it? A Goodman, or a Fane?
Roy69
Peasant

Re: Introduction and 18" Speaker ID: Goodman or Fane?

Postby OldSchoolDave on Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Greetings, Peter!

It's a Fane. No idea why it has a Goodmans label on the magnet. One clue that the label is not original is the wear and tear. Speakers in combo cabs often get scratched like that (by footswitches, effects pedals, mains cables and whatever else might get shoved in there), but such wear is unusual to see in an enclosed cabinet.

The smooth (non-ribbed) cone is uncommon for guitar or bass applications, but a quick google produced similar pics. So, it could very well be original. In any case, you are wise to not push it with your Showman!

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Roy69 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:32 pm

Dave, thanks for the info! So there might be a small circular Fane label hiding under the large Goodman one.

The smooth cone isn't that unusual considering JBL D, K, and E 120 and 130 also have smooth cones. What I found unusual is that here is a king-sized bass guitar speaker apparently rated at, what, 50 Watts? (going by the Goodman label.) In an early-mid 1960s context it's a different story, though.
Roy69
Peasant

Postby OldSchoolDave on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:16 pm

Roy69 wrote:So there might be a small circular Fane label hiding under the large Goodman one.

Possibly.

Roy69 wrote:The smooth cone isn't that unusual considering JBL D, K, and E 120 and 130 also have smooth cones.

Good point! The D/K/E 140's had ribbed cones and I can't recall any brand of 18" bass speaker with smooth - other than this Fane.

Roy69 wrote:What I found unusual is that here is a king-sized bass guitar speaker apparently rated at, what, 50 Watts? (going by the Goodman label.) In an early-mid 1960s context it's a different story, though.

No, it's a 100 watt speaker (hence, the Pop 100 designation). Scroll to the top of page 12 in this (really cool) catalog:

http://www.ajaudio.co.uk/WILMSLOW%20AUD ... ALOGUE.pdf

That said, I'm still cautious about over powering a vintage speaker.

Dave
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Roy69 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:32 pm

Hmmmm, I'm starting to warm to the idea of an 18" bass cab for around the house :D

Seriously, though, I never intended using the speaker with the Showman. I don't suppose it's much use for a bass nowadays unless it's played with a 50-wattish bass amp like a blackface Bassman.

Very cool catalog, BTW :D
Roy69
Peasant

Postby OldSchoolDave on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:00 pm

Roy69 wrote:Seriously, though, I never intended using the speaker with the Showman.

A bit off-topic, but I rebiased my '68 Showman to run 6V6's instead of 6L6's. It can now hit its sweet spot without peeling (much) paint off the walls :D .

Dave
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Roy69 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:59 pm

OldSchoolDave wrote:I rebiased my '68 Showman to run 6V6's instead of 6L6's. It can now hit its sweet spot without peeling (much) paint off the walls :D .

... and it could power a non-back-breaking 2x10 cab :D I got quite a shock when I tried lifting a friend's 2x15 cab, and my desire to have one, too, cooled considerably. 8)
Roy69
Peasant

Postby OldSchoolDave on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:39 pm

Roy69 wrote:... and it could power a non-back-breaking 2x10 cab :D

Slipped mine into a repro combo cab w/ JBL D130:

Still not light but, oh, how it sings :mrgreen: .

Dave
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Roy69 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:56 am

We need a "Show your Showman" thread.
Roy69
Peasant

Return to Speakers and Cabinets