12" speaker for jazz amps... recommendations please

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

12" speaker for jazz amps... recommendations please

Postby StevenGurg on Sat May 16, 2015 8:32 pm

I fitted my Fender HR DeVille with 4 10" Eminence Lil' Buddy speakers.... and they sound GREAT for jazz.
I put 2 12" Red Tone Tubby's in my Mesa Lone Star Special... and they too sound fantastic for jazz.
I have two 12" Avatar cabs, one with a Celestion 12-65 and the other with a Celestion Black Shadow 12" (from the Lone Star Special) and they sound good with anything.
I also have and oversize Port City Cab with with a Cannabis Rex 12"
And if that is not enough cabs... I have a Mesa 4x12 with two eminence 10" Black Shadows (made for Mesa) and two Jensen P10R's which I am looking to swap around too. I also have a 10" Ragin Cajun and a 10" Copperhead I took out of the 4x10 DeVille when the Lil Buddys went in.

Now... here is where I welcome your recommendations.... I just purchased an inexpensive DV Mark 12 Jazz amp (solid state) that sounds absolutely divine with it's own 12" speaker... and through the 12-65 and Cannabis Rx or Tone Tubbies. However, I am considering all options, including the new Celestion 12" 90 watt Cream (not creamback).

What say the experts here?
StevenGurg
Peasant

Re: 12" speaker for jazz amps... recommendations please

Postby OldSchoolDave on Thu May 21, 2015 2:53 am

StevenGurg wrote:What say the experts here?

Dunno :dunno: . I wouldn't have suggested any of the speakers that you're happy with, for jazz.

But, therein lies the rub; What type of jazz sound are we talking here? Wes Montgomery playing clean octaves or Pat Metheny imitating John Coltrane's sax?

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Return to Speakers and Cabinets