Consider reconing speaker - easy to DIY? (Fane Axa12)

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Consider reconing speaker - easy to DIY? (Fane Axa12)

Postby sitka_spruce on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:07 am

Now that I have assessed that one of my Fane Axa12s definitely suffer from some kind of inbalance and the resulting overtones I feel I have no other choice than having it re-coned, or reconing the speaker myself. How difficult a task would you say this is? Watched a vid of a reconing job and it seems to be about 1h of labour involved.

Cheers,
Jonas
sitka_spruce
Certified

Re: Consider reconing speaker - easy to DIY? (Fane Axa12)

Postby pdf64 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:53 am

It depends if a recone kit with a pre-assembled cone, voice coil and spider is available.
If so then it's fairly straightforward, though 1 hour seems rather an underestimate; removing the old cone and cleaning up the chassis takes me longer than that, using strong industrial thinners.
If all the parts need assembling it looks rather more involved, and whether it's cost effective to DIY may depend on being able to buy small quantities of the correct chemicals.
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Re: Consider reconing speaker - easy to DIY? (Fane Axa12)

Postby nigelwright7557 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:01 am

Blue Aran do recones. http://www.bluearan.co.uk
I have bought loads of speakers from them and never been disappointed.
Their prices are good too.
nigelwright7557
Peasant

Return to Speakers and Cabinets