Phasing Inward or Outward Cone??

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Phasing Inward or Outward Cone??

Postby mtm105 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:57 pm

I have a 4X12 installed WGS. It didn't sound GREAT like last Cab. I swapped +/- next to the input jack. Instead of cones pumping inward, they now go outward. It seems to play substantially better, like the original Cab I had them in. I'm just doing very low volumes.

I have an expensive boutique 2X12 Cab. These speakers cones phase inward with a 9 volt battery. I'm not going to change anything because it's soldered together very well and very likely built the way it's designed. Should I be concerned?

I imagine that a cone is designed to go either inwards or outwards. Particularly outwards, IMO. I posted issue on another forum and I was told that it's a non-issue, only unless both speakers have opposite phasing direction.
mtm105
Peasant

Re: Phasing Inward or Outward Cone??

Postby PeterS on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:25 pm

It's a nonissue: when you apply a signal, it is an alternating voltage that goes back and forth between negative and positive, so the cone goes both in and out.
Maybe when you swapped the wires on your input jack you incidentally repaired a bad connection.
PeterS
King

Postby OldSchoolDave on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:34 am

mtm105 wrote:I posted issue on another forum and I was told that it's a non-issue, only unless both speakers have opposite phasing direction.

Correct.

Note that some sound reinforcement folks will jump on your use of the word phasing. What we're really talking about is polarity.

Famous examples of inward cone movement upon positive voltage to the + terminal are JBL and some (not sure if all) Fanes.

Most others move outward first.

Either way, at the end of the day, it all works out ;) .

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby pckpat on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:57 am

Unless you are mixing the two different types :D
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby sitka_spruce on Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:35 am

It's a well known phenomenon that the direction in which the speakers operate can have a slight impact on tone. One example is the Marshall JTM being reverse wired compared to the Fender Tweed Bassman it was based on and that is supposed to partially contribute to the tonal differences.
sitka_spruce
Certified

Postby housekustoms on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:15 am

I am not sure my ears can hear the difference as long as all the speakers in an amp cab are operating wired in the same polarity but I suppose in a sense it is like pulsing on beat with the music vs. the back-beat of the music?

I have JBL's in many of my cabs because I am vintage too but can't really say that I can tell a difference in tone based on their reverse polarity vs. other speakers I also have swapped into the same cabs.

Just saying "my" ears can't seem to tell the difference...although I admittedly pulled too many triggers without earmuffs in my younger days and suffer the consequence of the same now...what's that you say?

Interesting thread!
I'm a little bit :old: now, but I still like to :jam:

housekustoms
Page

Return to Speakers and Cabinets