Seems the Fane reissues are finally on their way!

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Re: Seems the Fane reissues are finally on their way!

Postby brimar_69 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:54 pm

sitka_spruce wrote:That's great if it is true. I've been onto Fane for ages and they have been uniformly tight-lipped about anything of the such.

I've had similar results after contacting Fane several times; no information was forthcoming.
Regarding my previous post, if I remember correctly a guy posted the actual reply from Fane confirming the upcoming release of the Crescendo in 2015. I guess we'll have to wait & see...
brimar_69
Peasant

Postby sitka_spruce on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:13 am

brimar_69 wrote:
sitka_spruce wrote:That's great if it is true. I've been onto Fane for ages and they have been uniformly tight-lipped about anything of the such.

I've had similar results after contacting Fane several times; no information was forthcoming.
Regarding my previous post, if I remember correctly a guy posted the actual reply from Fane confirming the upcoming release of the Crescendo in 2015. I guess we'll have to wait & see...
You don't happen to know where that was posted or could share their comments on here, by chance?
sitka_spruce
Certified

Postby OldSchoolDave on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:32 am

sitka_spruce wrote:The new site is up and running: http://www.fane-acoustics.com/
Edit: Well, sortah... Just some pictures to wet our appetite basically.

Interesting that fane-acoustics.com and fane-international.com are two discrete sites. Anyone know what the connection to Fryette amps might be? They both list the same booth at Winter NAMM.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby brimar_69 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:53 pm

sitka_spruce wrote:You don't happen to know where that was posted or could share their comments on here, by chance

I can't remember unfortunately, but I did a quick search and came across another post by someone on TDPRI that also received information from Fane about a reissue Crescendo. This was posted last October:

"Like I said. I messaged them yesterday and asked them specifically ??
What Speaker do you make that is in the Same Vein as the Crescendo ?
They said. NONE. But in 2015 they are coming back out with the Original Design Crescendo."

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/513997-fane-crescendo-info-anyone.html

I can't verify if the above information is correct however I do remember reading another post elsewhere in December with similar a message.

Sorry that I can't remember the original source but if I come across it again I'll post it here. :thumbsup:

-brimar_69
brimar_69
Peasant

Postby Fanedango on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:28 am

Quote with regards to "something special": "...a new family of finely crafted, purpose driven models that perfectly balance heritage with innovation...".
Freely translated: "We didn't quite manage an accurate reissue."
The Namm Show opens today, let's see (finally) what they do manage to come up with.
Fanedango
Peasant

Postby sitka_spruce on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Fanedango wrote:Quote with regards to "something special": "...a new family of finely crafted, purpose driven models that perfectly balance heritage with innovation...".
Freely translated: "We didn't quite manage an accurate reissue."
The Namm Show opens today, let's see (finally) what they do manage to come up with.

Well you could read that into what they're saying and no matter they clearly never bothered about pushing for these units or touting any vintage authenticity with this line.

But I wouldn't draw the line quite there, as these Ascension speakers don't even look like anything Fane has ever made, particularly the alnicos. My guess is they're trying to please the crowd that has steered away from Fane finding them too hifi-ish, yet offer the typical Fane definition and tone. So I would view these Ascension ones as a more updated and crowd pleasing line of speakers compared to the Axioms and Medusas they offer today, which date back to the 80s or so and to my knowledge was a concoction of various Fane speakers but never really a remake of anything in particular. And their offering ceramic and alnico version of what seems to be otherwise an identical speaker at best looks a bit Weber inspired to me.

Having gone through the hassle of reverse-designing the vintage cast frame there's a lot in the balance for Fane, so when the reissues do appear we'll be able to tell how close they indeed are to the originals or how big the potential of getting there with age and use. And we should be able to tell from the outside that we're indeed looking at the RIs. Anything else would be a huge miscalculation of Fane's.

If you'll be going or know somebody who does do try to find out anything about their performance if you can. Obviously all we can do at present is dabbling with guesswork with limited accuracy guaranteed.
sitka_spruce
Certified

Postby sitka_spruce on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Details now viewable and .pdfs downloadable over at www.fane-acoustics.com

Looking at the plots alone you could get the idea that the tonal deal and the cones used for the Ascension line is indeed closer to that of Celestion; the lows are rounder, they're furrier above 400 Hz and the mid hump consist of several peaks. Then this could be a coinsidence - and I never really trusted the plots for their Axiom and Medusa lines anyway.

Also noteworthy is the use of paper formers for the ceramic models. A bit daring for anyone who knows a bit of Fane history, but one can only assume that their choice of former material here is neither to the speakers detriment nor indicative of other corners cut.
sitka_spruce
Certified

Postby superstar on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:19 am

Maybe too steep a hill for them to climb. Perhaps they did their market research and found the demand just wasnt there...
superstar
Knight

Postby sitka_spruce on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:16 pm

Gear Gods just uploaded a vid from the NAMM Fane booth.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFIILJYDzLk
sitka_spruce
Certified

Postby OldSchoolDave on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:45 pm

sitka_spruce wrote:Gear Gods just uploaded a vid from the NAMM Fane booth.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFIILJYDzLk

They all appear to use 444 cones. Interesting. Would be nice to actually hear them ;) .

Dave
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby sitka_spruce on Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:35 am

OldSchoolDave wrote:
sitka_spruce wrote:Gear Gods just uploaded a vid from the NAMM Fane booth.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFIILJYDzLk

They all appear to use 444 cones. Interesting. Would be nice to actually hear them ;) .

Dave

I agree. But I'm curious as to what that "P20" code would indicate.
sitka_spruce
Certified

Postby sitka_spruce on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:23 am

Curiously this could explain why Fane shared floorspace with Fryette http://youtu.be/LpCC4Yf7R4w?t=1m39s

Edit: Actually it seems these new offerings are variations on speakers that go into Fryette amps.
sitka_spruce
Certified

Postby sitka_spruce on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:43 am

OldSchoolDave wrote:

Dave

Getting to think about it: isn't the 444 code as we know it a proprietary Celestion code and one for their bass (cloth surround) cones?

This is the Fryette Aether amp w. the cream Fane alnico: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hl40Cw76e4
sitka_spruce
Certified

Postby OldSchoolDave on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:18 am

sitka_spruce wrote:Getting to think about it: isn't the 444 code as we know it a proprietary Celestion code and one for their bass (cloth surround) cones?

444 is the code for the 55Hz cone used on some Celestion speakers, but I don't know that it's proprietary. The cone may be available to other manufacturers?

Dave
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby sitka_spruce on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:15 am

OldSchoolDave wrote:
sitka_spruce wrote:Getting to think about it: isn't the 444 code as we know it a proprietary Celestion code and one for their bass (cloth surround) cones?

444 is the code for the 55Hz cone used on some Celestion speakers, but I don't know that it's proprietary. The cone may be available to other manufacturers?

Dave

I believe it is as Celestion appears to having stamped Kurt Muellers and RICs with that code. And all the more bewildering that these Fanes bearing that code have all paper cones. Well, we'll find out what that code is worth in due time.
sitka_spruce
Certified

PreviousNext

Return to Speakers and Cabinets