How can tell me about old v new celestion g12h speakers?

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

How can tell me about old v new celestion g12h speakers?

Postby russellhammond on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi all, I'm about to get to work of my new cab but don't know much about speakers. I want the early jimmy page sound, been pointed in the g12h derection...if I go by how good my early 70s gear Is I already have, old is going to leave new standing....and why is that?

Russell
russellhammond
Peasant

Re: How can tell me about old v new celestion g12h speakers?

Postby OldSchoolDave on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:14 pm

russellhammond wrote:....and why is that?

'cause sometimes cliches become cliches for a reason (i.e. "they don't make 'em like they used to")?

Certain changes in materials and the manufacturing process create differences in the sound. For example, the old Pulsonic cones are no longer available.

That's not to say that all new speakers are inferior. I'd much rather have fresh speakers in monitors and sound reinforcement, due to technical advances and their lack of prior abuse. Speakers are "air motors" and all motors eventually wear out. Papa Dog's "blue jean" analogy is a good one - new speakers often take some break-in to come into full song. That's why some outfits (Avatar's Hellatones and HI-TONE's DR-F's, for example) "pre-exercise" their speakers before shipping.

That said, it's all a matter of degrees. If you're going to use the speakers in question in a recording studio, the nuances of a vintage speaker will be noticeable. In an arena, not so much (as Frank Zappa once said; "It all sounds the same in a hockey rink").

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby sitka_spruce on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Also let's keep in mind that the G12H Anniversary and the G12H30 Heritage are quite different sounding. The ones you'd want would be the 75Hz Heritage ones if I recall. Image
Then of course you have the Webers (if you can accept the wait) and Scumbacks (if you don't mind the if-y customer relations) of this model.
sitka_spruce
Certified

Postby mtm105 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:09 pm

EVH 12 M's are a bargain. $149 for a Heritage which goes for $70 more.

Throughout his career, Eddie Van Halen has sought out original Celestion 20-watt Greenback speakers to load into his recording and performing rigs. So, when designing the EVH 5150III it was to Celestion that EVH and Fender turned in search of that vintage Greenback sound.

Celestion's Heritage Series G12 M speakers are a faithful reproduction of the original 1960s 20-watt Greenback and for EVH they provide the ideal solution. However—in order to give this speaker a look that is unmistakably EVH—a specially designed label, featuring the Van Halen logo and unique EVH striped design, along with a black-painted can that evokes the memory of the rare and much sought after Celestion "Blackback" speakers, were added.
mtm105
Peasant

Return to Speakers and Cabinets