Does a Seam Indicate a Reconed Speaker?

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Does a Seam Indicate a Reconed Speaker?

Postby vez on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:58 pm

This is probably a dub question but, if a speaker cone has a seam does that mean that it's been reconned?
Thx!
vez
Squire

Re: Does a Seam Indicate a Reconed Speaker?

Postby OldSchoolDave on Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:36 am

vez wrote:...if a speaker cone has a seam does that mean that it's been reconned?

Not necessarily. Some original cones have seams. Low powered Jensens come to mind. I'm sure there are others.

What is the speaker in question?

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby vez on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:06 am

OldSchoolDave wrote:
vez wrote:...if a speaker cone has a seam does that mean that it's been reconned?

Not necessarily. Some original cones have seams. Low powered Jensens come to mind. I'm sure there are others.

What is the speaker in question?

Dave

Hi Dave, It a pair of Utah's (I think).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Leslie-Cabinets-Vintage-12-Speakers-for-B3-Hammond-Organ-of-Fender-Tube-Amp-/161438256821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2596784eb5
A friend recently told me that a speaker with a seam means a recone.
And I seen a few sellers claim the speaker is original whereas there is a seam.
vez
Squire

Postby OldSchoolDave on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:21 pm

vez wrote:A friend recently told me that a speaker with a seam means a recone.

Well.....your friend was mistaken ;) .

Only when the original cones weren't seamed would a seam indicate a recone. Make sense? For example, I once "won" an auction for a pair of Sound City Fanes. When they arrived, they had thin, seamed cones (not revealed in the auction pics). Definitely NOT original to that particular speaker.

Did I miss something? When did ceramic magnet Utahs start commanding $150 each :shock: ?

FWIW, the cones in that auction look original to me. If I were spending that kind of money, however, I'd be looking at different speakers.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby vez on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:05 pm

OldSchoolDave wrote:Did I miss something? When did ceramic magnet Utahs start commanding $150 each :shock: ?

FWIW, the cones in that auction look original to me. If I were spending that kind of money, however, I'd be looking at different speakers.

Dave

Definitely. It was just an example of a seamed cone.
But I am in the market for a 12" speaker for my Ampeg fliptop. I put a JBL in it and the magnet is so big the amp head wont fit inside the cab.
Maybe I should look for an alnico.
vez
Squire

Return to Speakers and Cabinets