G12 S

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

G12 S

Postby Stinkfoot on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:27 pm

I was just going to list a small 70s Carlsbro PA when I thought it may be an idea to check what speakers were inside....good job I did.

I found these beauties x 4 of them. The code on the frame is T1416. These must be good vintage speakers that I could use for guitar cabs..right ?

The Pa.

Stinkfoot
Squire

Re: G12 S

Postby superstar on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Very under-rated speakers. They are exactly the same as the G12M greenback but with a very slightly smaller magnet. The mid-range tone is all there but just not quite as bassy or loud - they share the same cone assembly as the usual G12M and G12H models. The magnet size is literally the only difference.

They are ideal for lower wattage amplifiers. You can find them in various 1x12 combos from back in the day. 15 watters, things like that.
superstar
Knight

Postby Stinkfoot on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 pm

superstar wrote:Very under-rated speakers. They are exactly the same as the G12M greenback but with a very slightly smaller magnet. The mid-range tone is all there but just not quite as bassy or loud - they share the same cone assembly as the usual G12M and G12H models. The magnet size is literally the only difference.

They are ideal for lower wattage amplifiers. You can find them in various 1x12 combos from back in the day. 15 watters, things like that.

Thanks Superstar. I rather fancy making a 2x12 cabinet for my original JTM45 plexi head, so these would be ideal n'est ce pas ?

Stinkfoot
Squire

Postby pckpat on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:07 pm

That's interesting Stinkfoot-those Carlsbro cabs and head have exactly the same rubber bumpers as the old Traynor stuff. Good thing you did look in there, that's a few bob worth in those speakers, I'd figure.
Should sound excellent with that sweet old 45 head-although cranked out you might be approaching the danger limit on two speakers. :o
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Return to Speakers and Cabinets