Alternative era-correct speakers?

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Alternative era-correct speakers?

Postby Down&Out on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Hello!

Bit of a long winded thread this. Been a while since ive been on here, so hello.

Ive been keeping an eye out for something vintage and tubey for a while now. I recently landed a 1972 Laney PA60 - I've always preferred the underdogs. Had to clean all the fag tar, dust and cobwebs off it, clean the pots etc, but fired it up for 5 minutes and while still a bit 'poppy' in the jack department, seems to work as intended. At the moment ive sadly only got a modern Calsbro cab with own brand speakers in it, but i recently bought an unloaded Laney Klipp 4x12 ply cab (the Calsbro is chipboard - yuck), so i'd like your help on what speakers to put in it.

All my favourite guitarists used 55hz bass spec greenbacks. Obviously, these are quite pricey now, especially if originals. So, does anyone know of any less sought after speakers that give a similar effect?

In the same way my PA60 is closely related to the Supergroup, which in turn is a plexi-esque circuit, im looking for something that is similar to greenbacks in a roundabout way, and preferably vintage. Im not a massive gear tart by any stretch, i just like it to be within a reasonable price range (the PA60 set me back £150), and made in the correct era, as it were.

So if you know of any alternatives, let me know? One thing that did pop to mind was perhaps hammond organ 12" speakers? they are certainly of the right vintage. And some of which i think were made by Fane?

Anyway, if waffled too much i think. Thoughts?
Down&Out
Peasant

Re: Alternative era-correct speakers?

Postby superstar on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:04 pm

what do you mean by "quite pricey"? I have seen used celestions and fanes going for between £20 to £50 each on ebay recently. hardly breaking the bank in my opinion.

people just never want to pay out for speakers in the same way as they do for guitars or amps. most unappreciated part of the signal chain in my opinion. even if you forked out top whack and paid a "premium price" for a mint quad of pre-rolas it would still only set you back about the same price as a used les paul standard. :dunno:
superstar
Knight

Postby sitka_spruce on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:05 am

You mean to imply the bass cone G12Ms? Though they may not be vintage per se but a well broken in Scumback or Weber should basically get you there for not so much money. Mind you: back then you only had a few manufacturers that did speakers and each had a signature tone that sounded a bit different from the other. So there's really no brand X that made a product that sounded like brand Y's comparable product like there is today, unfortunately.
sitka_spruce
Certified

Postby pckpat on Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:12 am

Too bad that Scumbacks and Webers,etc. would likely incur shipping costs. Unless you know of a store in the UK that stocks speakers like Warehouse (WGS), Eminence or the above-mentioned. It sounds like your preference is for something out of the seventies, same era as your amp and cab.A few years ago (3-4) when I had a bit more disposable cash, I kept my eyes open- mostly on sites like this, or guitarscanada, etc., and scored a nice quad of Blackbacks for I believe it was $450 C, shipped. I also got a couple of quads or more of the eighties G12-65's, which are a lot like a less-efficient Greenback.One quad came in a pretty good condition Marshall bottom cab for $450. I'm sure in England there will be some even better deals on vintage Celestions, Goodmans or Fanes pop up occasionally. Good hunting. :thumbsup:
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby sitka_spruce on Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:03 pm

There's always Taydens in the UK, and new they don't go for nearly as much as a Chinese mfg:ed Celestion. Obviously not vintage, but great sound for little money.
sitka_spruce
Certified

Postby brimar_69 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:42 pm

sitka_spruce wrote:There's always Taydens in the UK, and new they don't go for nearly as much as a Chinese mfg:ed Celestion. Obviously not vintage, but great sound for little money.

Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with Tayden guitar speakers?
There seems to be very little information available however from what I have come across, they seem to get favourable reports. I'd be interested to hear from anybody that has used the Tayden Retro 55 which is being marketed as a Fane alternative for use with Hiwatts etc.
brimar_69
Peasant

Postby power lover on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:37 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ2DjqD_QOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QZp0aiMcvU

I've not heard the tayden's but if they are under $100 ea why not try them? From the clips, I can see them going well with the old laney 60. Maybe a nice rich dark sound to them?

I had that exact amp. I would recommend redoing the way the big capacitors work and also maybe cut a little bit of the bass with a circuit tweek, but otherwise those are killer amps. The G12M does not like bass and some laney's pump out some bass compared to a similar era marshall.

I've bought some original celestions on ebay for $150. RIC cones. but also Aren't even the 1777 cones or 03 cones still only $300 ea used. I'd buy at least one original to be able to put a mic on it. Blend it in with some moderns maybe
power lover
Knight

Postby russellhammond on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:38 am

I was given this video the other day on here to get an idea of tonal differences between new old and repro celestion G12Ms. Very interesting..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLVcvwq4C8
russellhammond
Peasant

Postby power lover on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:15 am

and as you can tell, there's only one real thing there. It matches my personal experience with all those speakers. A good original has a smooth compression the others mimic. Who knows why. It just is what it is. But that is only if you want that old original tone. If you want other tones the recreations are fine. No one but hardcore old farts like us want the old tone it seems. The kids can't play the old amps and don't care about tone in a deep way or have no sense of history or even recognize the greatness that once was. So at least you won't have to bid against them on ebay !
power lover
Knight

Postby russellhammond on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:25 pm

I'm 21 so your be bidding against me :wink:
russellhammond
Peasant

Postby power lover on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:02 am

good to hear russell ! get together with some local buds and start a band !
power lover
Knight

Postby sitka_spruce on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:02 pm

Down & Out: If you indeed are refering to 55Hz Greenbacks chances are that those are the G12H variety and not the G12M, just so we are on the same page. The 55Hz G12M is probably the least favoured of the original Celestions but some have been quite successfully using these. Then resonance has very little to do with the percieved tone of a speaker as e.g. a Fane w. 85Hz resonance has more lows and less highs than a Celestion w. 55Hz.
sitka_spruce
Certified

Postby Down&Out on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:04 am

Back again!

I narrowly missed out on some bargain g12h's. By narrowly i mean the useless seller said "any questions please ask" in the advert, but ignored all my emails about numbers stamped on the cones.

I'd rather pay a bit more for something original, i think from your excellent help it needs to be 55 hz g12h's, with pulsonic cones. Just a case of finding some now.
Down&Out
Peasant

Return to Speakers and Cabinets