New Eminence speakers

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

New Eminence speakers

Postby brimar_69 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:53 am

Has anybody heard anything about the new Eminence speakers that are being released, particularly the CV-75?

Its described as a British type speaker with "complete tonal balance – grunt and punch in the lows, warm/tailored mids, and nice, clear, open/airy highs".

Is this speaker meant to be a vintage Fane clone?

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=CV-75
brimar_69
Peasant

Re: New Eminence speakers

Postby Fanedango on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:39 am

We can only hope. What worries me is this part of the presentation: "...British speakers from 20 to 30 years ago...". That clearly cannot be Fane, unfortunately.
Fanedango
Peasant

Postby OldSchoolDave on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:43 pm

brimar_69 wrote:... particularly the CV-75?

Didn't know a thing about it until your post.

Not sure what speaker they're trying to emulate. The clean-ish clips sound o.k.. Wish they'd have recorded the overdriven ones at a decent volume. Sounds to me as if the pedal or preamp is distorting and the speaker is barely moving. Kinda brittle, IMHO.

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on one or two to run through some paces...

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby brimar_69 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:11 pm

I'd be inclined to agree with you on the overdriven sounds, they don't sound too good to me.

There doesn't seem to be any clarity with the overdriven chords at all. The sound is quite muffled but maybe its due to the volume setting as you suggested or else a pedal that doesn't suit that speaker.

I was looking for a pair of speakers to go with a DR504 when I came across the CV-75's and was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with them as the samples are not too convincing :( .

The choice of suitable speakers here in Europe is fairly limited and I need a pair of speakers for regular use with the DR504. Anyway, from what I've read the Eminence Tonker seems to fit the bill so I'll probably go for them for now.
If I was on the other side of the pond it would definitely be DR-F's :) , unfortunately the cost of importing them here with taxes etc. rules them out at the moment.
brimar_69
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:08 am

i listened to the sound clips and was both impressed and annoyed at the same time

it just seems like it's missing part of the normal sound of a speaker

makes it seem somewhat harsh, and gave me ear fatigue. this over my jbl l100 studio monitors which were $400 each in 1974 dollars, so like a bazillion dollars today...
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby brimar_69 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:00 pm

OK, I've been in touch with Eminence about the CV-75 and they said that it sounds like "an old Celestion V30" :? .

So its not meant to sound like a fane at all :( .

The rep from Eminence responded immediately to my questions; a super fast reply. I'm impressed with their customer service.
brimar_69
Peasant

Postby OldSchoolDave on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:02 am

brimar_69 wrote:OK, I've been in touch with Eminence about the CV-75 and they said that it sounds like "an old Celestion V30" :? .

And there was a huge demand for that sound (that couldn't be satisfied with the oodles of V30's already in existence)? Hmmm.

brimar_69 wrote:The rep from Eminence responded immediately to my questions; a super fast reply. I'm impressed with their customer service.

I was fortunate enough to tour the Eminence factory and - to a person - everyone was welcoming and genuinely proud of the parts they played in making quality speakers. Good bunch :thumbsup: !

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby sitka_spruce on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:16 pm

I know that a while ago Weber released their Gray Wolf, which is supposed to be a meaner Bulldog/ V30-ish speaker. And last year Celestion released their V-type which obviously is an M-magnet speaker but a more forward and mid-centred one at that. Could this be a trend developing that we see?

I too listened to some of the clips of the CV, and would have to agree that it's indeed quite mid peaky. Then in its defense it may not have been broken in entirely. Looking at the graph/ plot for it then clearly it has that 'Celestion meat' between 400 to 1k and that mutiple peak bump that starts off at around 1.75kHz and extends to 4k, with some roll-off to 5k. That's a great deal, particularly compared to Celestions, vintage ones and more modern ones. And that means a lift at around 2k to which the human ear is particularly sensitive - most Celestions tend to peak later, at 2.5kHz-ish, and go on from there.
sitka_spruce
Certified

Return to Speakers and Cabinets