4x12 cab(gt75s) for bass guitar?

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

4x12 cab(gt75s) for bass guitar?

Postby kaminari13 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:05 pm

Couldnt find a topic for this so heres a new one.
Looking for a bass cab/cab to get me where i want to be, that is classic aggressive 70s fender p rock/punk territory .
I play in various sized (audience) bands and this is a little backward but...
when i play a smaller rock club (150/300) i can get away just having drums and vocals in the p.a and cranking the crap out of the guitars and bass ,this really makes sense ,the speakers are driven well and sound good as do the amps,
almost the only territory that 100watt valve amps and sizeable bass amps can be used properly,
the bass cab i use for this purpose is a 2x15er.
One other point about this is that in this age of line array p.a´s and hifi purist live sound ,rock and roll seems to have lost its balls ,the sound rarely comes directly from the direction of the stage/musicians which seems to spoil the whole effect ,so when a band are loud and in your face it can really blow you away

Next band,bigger stages between 300 and 1000 and festivals
same cab...p.a man screams turn it down after one note at smaller club level ,
so the game starts ,how much speaker excursion can i have before the knob master screams ,
not alot usualy which means crap tone no warmth less sustain etc etc.
what i need is something that "sounds" loud at lower volumes .
i check out some of my fave bass players ,jean jaques burnel (stranglers) Rob wright(no means no)and Lemmy (even if he´s rick and not p bass)......all of them have created their signature tones with marshall 4x12 boxes which according to my net searches had guitar and not special bass speakers in them ,now here the crunch..
Most of those boxes apparently have gt75s in them ,they can take a beating but dont go much lower than 80hz and i need a little ass end as well as the agro grindy mids/highs ,i really dislike di boxes and insist on 421s if possible so.
can anyone recomend 2 12inch speakers that i can stick in the bottom of a 4x12er that would match the 2 gt75s but may supply enough lows to avoid the di box?
kaminari13
Peasant

Re: 4x12 cab(gt75s) for bass guitar?

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:37 pm

the more air you're moving the more it sounds loud without breaking ear drums

i have some JBL JRX125's (PA) each with two 15" and a horn and the sound is just like a freight train

goes through walls like they weren't even there and travels forever without being that loud

the dividing net is setup so the bottom speaker gets subwoofer territory, while the top speaker is mid-only making them really sound clean

i love taking these outside and with my 50 foot cables i can have them 100 feet from each other. put on some mozart at low volume level and it *sounds like the music is in your head* :mrgreen:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby OldSchoolDave on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:36 pm

kaminari13 wrote:Most of those boxes apparently have gt75s in them ,they can take a beating but dont go much lower than 80hz and i need a little ass end as well as the agro grindy mids/highs ,i really dislike di boxes and insist on 421s if possible so.
can anyone recomend 2 12inch speakers that i can stick in the bottom of a 4x12er that would match the 2 gt75s but may supply enough lows to avoid the di box?

Eminence Delta 12B (the "B" denotes 16 ohm impedence). I use them in my mid-high packs and recommend them highly.

It could be the "beaminess" of the G12T-75's that's hitting the FOH Engineer wrong. Have you tried simply re-aiming the cab to avoid either his ears or the drum mics?

A lot of bass players I know are using 10" speakers now. There have been so many advancements in that size for nice snappy highs and, in the proper enclosure, tight low end.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby kaminari13 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:06 pm

thanks for the tip on the emi 12bs
,do you think they would balance out if i had 2 in the bottom and 2 gt75s in the top of the 4x12er ,
if they were higher powered would they be quieter than the gt75s cos they´d need more power to make em move while the gt75s would already be roaring ?
I have not gigged the 4x12er yet, but in the practice room with loud drummer it sounds great just worried it doesnt quite have the 50/60 hz i would like to compliment the bass drum.
dont get on with 10s too well they always seem kind of scooped.
thanks again .
kaminari13
Peasant

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:55 am

kaminari13 wrote:,do you think they would balance out if i had 2 in the bottom and 2 gt75s in the top of the 4x12er ,
if they were higher powered would they be quieter than the gt75s cos they´d need more power to make em move while the gt75s would already be roaring ?

Actually, the Eminence Deltas are more efficient (sensitivity rating of 98.3dB) than the G12T-75's (97dB). So, they'd be a tad louder.

I'd say give 'em a try. In the spirit of full disclosure, G12T-75's are my very least favorite Celestion speakers. As such, I'd say mixing anything with them would be an improvement ;) .

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby kaminari13 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:30 pm

eminence deltas vs betas
after looking around at whats on offer(for 12" 16ohm bass speakers) i have found eminence deltas and also betas,
can anyone tell me the difference in tone between the two?
they are gonna go in an old laney guitar cab ,its a straight cab about 10cm deeper than a marshall 1960 and weighs a fair bit more ,
the gt75s on top and the delta/betas on the bottom,
i know there´s alot of dislike for the gt75s (i previously had problems as a guitarist with em that i got over) and now i really like the aggressiveness they have with a fender precision.
Hopefully i´m gonna hit the jackpot with this combination for the tone i´m looking for.
thanks for your help and advice
kaminari13
Peasant

Postby PeterS on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:24 pm

i know there´s alot of dislike for the gt75

Horses for courses. I had a cab with them and always found them harsh. When I sold the cab the guy I sold it to gave it a good tryout with his own gear, louder and more distortion than I play with, and I thought they sounded good like that.
PeterS
King

Postby pdf64 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:16 am

If it's no more than a 100 watt amp then I can recommend the G12H30 anniversary. A bigger magnet so tighter tone with more extended low end and more cut at the top end.
Pete
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Return to Speakers and Cabinets