To All Silvertone 1484/85 Owners

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

To All Silvertone 1484/85 Owners

Postby thirdman333 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:51 pm

hey everyone, i am restoring a 1485 and i am having some tremolo issues and im trying to read between the lines of the schematic which alot of it appears to be wrong especially in the tremolo circuit it seems. so if anyone would be so kind as to open up their silvertone and tell me what their working tremolo circuit looks like. ie whats going off pin 1 pin 2 etc. my master plan is to redo the silvertone schematic so its easier to read and understand and most importantly correct! and post it on the schematics thread. any help with this project would be every appreciated :cheers:
Never met a wise man if so its a woman
thirdman333
Squire

Re: To All Silvertone 1484/85 Owners

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:58 am

ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby thirdman333 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:33 am

thanks baron. but what im trying to do is make a new set of schematics and layouts for these amps as those schematics can be a pain and there are a few errors and voltage readings are off as well. so im trying to find a bone stock amp
thirdman333
Squire

Postby zarfnober on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:17 pm

I'm going to be working on one in the next day or two, I'll look for you, the original schematic IS wrong for the tremolo. BTW, if you get real weak trem on these after replacing the .5mfd cap, you probably have a bad "light operated tremolo unit", the Fender style should work fine.

Rocco
zarfnober

Postby thirdman333 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:02 am

thanks rocco. i have most of the UPDATED schematic and working on a new layout for and even easier read for a quick reference the trem circuit seems to have some major problems. thanks for the help :cheers:
thirdman333
Squire

Postby RWood on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:03 am

Kris did you ever make a schematic or layout for this?

I'm going to be working on a 1484 trem this week and I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with .

Thanks,

RWood
RWood
Page

Postby thirdman333 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:38 pm

hey wood i havent got any info from anyone with a completly cherry 1484/85
BUT
i have a pretty good idea of other the tremolo circuit goes now but i have been crazy busy latly and havent had a chance to test it out i will get my notes and tell you what goes where and the voltages the schemos for these amps are a pain. id like to do a fender style layout and re do a schemo. ill post what i have tonight for the trem
layout and schemo to come soon :thumbsup:
good luck on the 1484 i just took out the trem and reverb in my 1484 basket case i was restoring so now its like a silvertone bassman and its awesome i would like to rebuild the trem later because i to accually like the silvertone trem
thirdman333
Squire

Postby RWood on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:53 am

Thanks. One mistake I noticed on the schem is that for the tremolo tube, they've got pin 8 as the plate and pin 6 as the plate, which is, of course, switched.
Do you know of any other mistakes on it?

I did see that the moderator on EL34World has a posted an editable 1484 schem. You need ExpressSCH to be able to view it though. He cleaned up and redrew the schematic, whereas it looks like you are creating a new one from an actual amp. Best of luck!

RWood
RWood
Page

Postby lowbrow on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:45 pm

No further info to contribute to the trem, but I do have a bit of info to share on the reverb.

I'd rebuilt one of my two heads and still had issues with the reverb running wild on me if I set the head in top of the cab. In rebuilding my second one, which had never been touched, I noticed that Danelectro used a piece of sewing thread to tie the reverb spring down close to the particle board base of it's "tank" in the middle. If you look carefully at the particle board, you'll see two small slots cut into it about midway on the edges. These are where the thread slots through. Now my wild reverb oscillations are all gone and it works as it should.
lowbrow
Peasant

Postby soundguyxpress on Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi, zarfnober -- I just found this site, and noticed your statement from March 2010 that the schematic for the 1484 tremolo circuit is wrong. But you didn't say in what way it is wrong. I'm working on a magazine column that will address this circuit, but I no longer own a 1484. I find two different varieties of schematic on the Internet: one has R57, the 15M resistor that bridges between plate and cathode of the tube that drives the optoisolator, and one doesn't have that resistor. Is that the error you're talking about? Which is correct: with or without R57? Or were there different production runs -- some using R57, and some not?

Thanks.
soundguyxpress
Peasant

Postby Dean Jr. on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:57 pm

soundguyexpress, I stumbled onto this thread just because you resurrected it. One blatant error that is mentioned above is right in the area of that trem driver. The plate and cathode designations for that triode are switched...p6 should be the plate while p8 should be the cathode. Regarding the resistor there, I have no idea is either is 'correct' or incorrect'...or merely different.
Zombie thread....it would be interesting to know what the OP found and did, would it not....especially if one were writing an article on the amp's circuit.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby zarfnober on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:10 am

Been away for a while myself, out of town now, head back tomorrow, I'll take a look and let you know what I find. I do know that the schematic is wrong, just forget what exactly, been a while since I worked on it.

Rocco
zarfnober
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers