Traynor yrm1 tremolo; increasing intensity kills volume??

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Traynor yrm1 tremolo; increasing intensity kills volume??

Postby BL!AST on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:51 am

Got a early 70's YRM-1 on the bench. First Traynor i've ever got to sit down in the comfort of my own home with and really 'get to know'... very impressed. Gave it a run through, cleaned everything, fixed the reverb tank, etc. My problem lies in the tremolo... it works, however when turning up the intensity knob the overall volume of the amp drops a signifigant amount. I assume this is not normal... anyone have any idea as to where I can begin troubleshooting ?
BL!AST
Squire

Re: Traynor yrm1 tremolo; increasing intensity kills volume??

Postby parkhead on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:40 am

if its a bias wiggle tremolo see whats happening with the bias as the tremolo runs

ie get out your meter and see how far the bias is swinging

p
parkhead
Baron

Location: Rock & Roll isn't dead its just moved North of the Border

Postby tighty whitey on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:42 am

hey, my yrm-1 does the same thing. Did you ever get it sorted out?
tighty whitey
Peasant

Postby hughesp on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:37 pm

I had the same problem... seems to be a design flaw in this amp model, as I've seen a lot of them with this problem... though I have tried 2 mint condition yrm-1 amps that seemed to work well...

My guess is that the photocell optocoupler? thing isn't very good quality and breaks down over time... Either that, or the caps need to be replaced in the trem section. I've heard from people who've done either/or and had good results, though I can't testify to that.

According to Kevin O'Connors TUT books, one could use a J-Fet instead of the optical device for a more affordable/reliable way of working the tremolo, but I don't know enough about how to do that offhand.

With my personal YRM-1, I converted mine to a bias tremolo circuit like they used in the ysr-1. I like the sound of bias tremolos better anyway, and it is pretty similar as far as part count goes. That sounds REALLY good to my ear, though my understanding is that bias tremolo circuits are a bit tougher on the power tubes....
hughesp
Peasant

Postby PeterS on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:51 pm

There's an adjustment for the tremolo that sets the current through the lamp part of the LDR unit, try twiddling that.

my understanding is that bias tremolo circuits are a bit tougher on the power tubes....

I've heard that too but I wonder if the concern is purely theoretical.
PeterS
King

Re: Traynor yrm1 tremolo; increasing intensity kills volume?

Postby simondolanbass on Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi!

I'm working on this exact model with this particular problem. I tested another YRM-1 and the sound doesn't decrease as much (It was in a reversal room not on my bench)

The tremolo circuit is pretty simple and I tested a couple of component that seems to be good. The only unusual component for me is the opt coupler.

Do you think It can cause the problem?

Or anybody have found a solution?

Thanks

Simon
simondolanbass
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers