eros 290 bassmaster. anybody ever heard of this? dynaco kit?

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

eros 290 bassmaster. anybody ever heard of this? dynaco kit?

Postby fredrum on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:01 am

picked this up for $100 in non working condition at a guitar show a few months back. the only thing wrong with it was a bad power tube. its gigantic, and it weighs a ton. powered by 4x6550s, it gets extremely loud. i cant find anything at all about this company after hours of research.

on the back it says "an EROS product by custom electronics and eng., waukesha, wisconsin"

its designed rather strangely, instead of having an open back, it has a fan mounted into the back panel that turns on when the amp is turned on. the preamp section is mounted to a seperate plate that mounts in the front of the cabinet. it appears to have 1 12ax7, one ef86, and one other tube which i believe to also be an ef86.

the power amp is rediculously heavy, mostly due to the enormous transformers. 4 6550s and one 6an8 mounted into a board. all of the transformers and the board say dynaco on them.

after reasearching dynaco for a while, this looks like it could be one of their kits, but i cant find anything about them making a kit like this, all i can find is stereo power amps and the like, and nothing that seems to put out this much power, although alot of their preamps look to have used ef86 tubes. this amp is really a mystery to me. is it something assembled from a dynaco kit, or just something made using dynaco components and design elements? anybody know anything about this?

sorry about the blurry pics.
fredrum
Court Jester

Postby fredrum on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:03 am

my mystery tube, presumably an ef86:

slightly better pic of the board:

after looking at the pots, they seem to date to 1970, if im reading the right code.
fredrum
Court Jester

Postby Dervish Riff on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:30 pm

Some early Sunns used Dynaco parts, too. Looks like the builders just adapted the kits into an amp head--Just look at where the accessory outlets ended up :wink: . I'd imagine the 120 watt kits are pretty rare, hence little online info.
Dervish Riff
Page

Postby fredrum on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:11 pm

thats pretty much what i was thinking, that it was adapted from a dynaco kit. looks like the transformers alone are worth a bundle-a set went for close to $500 on ebay a while back-not that im planning on selling this anytime soon-but needless to say, im a little stunned.
fredrum
Court Jester

Postby Roy Boltz on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:30 pm

fredrum wrote:thats pretty much what i was thinking, that it was adapted from a dynaco kit. looks like the transformers alone are worth a bundle-a set went for close to $500 on ebay a while back-not that im planning on selling this anytime soon-but needless to say, im a little stunned.

Yeah, that looks like someone adapted a Dynaco monoblock & then built a preamp for it.
Those Dynaco output trannies are very hifi, that power amp must have tons of headroom.
Too bad you didn't have a pair of those. :wink:
Roy Boltz
King

Re: eros 290 bassmaster. anybody ever heard of this? dynaco kit?

Postby ErosBassMaster on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:11 pm

Yes, I've heard of this amplifier. In fact, I'm searching for one like it. I knew the man who designed the entire line of Eros amplifiers -- yes, they (like Sunn) were based HEAVILY on Dynaco parts and kits -- and would be happy to discuss anything concerning this line. In addition to the Bass Master, there was the Lead Master, the Combo Master and the Voice Master; all relied on 6550 output tubes; the Bass, Lead, and Combo versions were available with two output tubes (producing "140 watts Music Power") or four output tubes (producing "290 watts Music Power", thus the 290 designation); the four-channel Voice amp was available in four tube/290-watt and eight tube/580-watt versions; all four units had differing innovative features; the company also made an extensive line of high-performance speaker systems, utilizing Altec-Lansing speakers, horns and drivers.

If you want to sell your Bass Master head, or if you run across another unit, I would GREATLY appreciate your contacting me about it.

Paul Welch
I used to be different, but now I'm the same...
ErosBassMaster
Peasant

Postby Cmaj on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:50 am

I have a Bass Master head with 2 6550's, have had it since 1977. Bought it used at Modern Music in West Allis, WI. Red and green pilot lights and rear-mounted fan. About 5 or 6 years ago my tech did a cap job on it and put a tube rectifier in it. He told me it was made from a Dynakit chassis. He'd never seen another.

Before I ran into it, I had seen a local band whose bass player used an Eros rig with a '60's P-Bass and killed with it. Brutally punchy deep sound with crisp highs! He used roundwounds and played with a pick, really maximizing the effect. As a young guy I wasn't gear-smart enough to check out his cab, though I've long since wondered about it. Paul, what quantity /model of Altec-Lansings would be found in the Eros cabs? And how were the cabs designed?

Not that I'm looking for another head, but I've had a search on Ebay for years for "Eros Bass Master." Have yet to see anything offered.

Btw, I just discovered this forum a couple of days ago---this is good stuff!

Chuck
Cmaj
Peasant

Postby PeterS on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:58 am

I'm not convinced that mystery tube is an ef86... all the ef86 I've seen (all of about 3 of them) have a kind of mesh screen round the outside...
PeterS
King

Postby MarkOMatic on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:41 am

Yes,
This is an Eros 290, made by Custom Electronics on Ellis Street in Waukesha Wisconsin. The owner was a man named David Tews. I worked there, and built these amps.
There was a full line of amps: bassmaster 290, bassmaster 580, Leadmaster 290, Leadmaster 580, Voicemaster 290 & Voice master 580.
The speaker selections were a 1000, 2000 or 3000 (2 12", 2 15", or 4 15") as well as the voice cabinets which had 2 15s, or 4 15s some of which also
had huge Altec _Lansing Horns. The speaker choices were Altec lansing or Eminence. The "580" amps had 2 power amp sections, all of which used the Dynaco components. These were massive amps,
and the brochere said "Impressively Large". Many local Waukesha Bands had these amps. David also had a popular music store in Waukesha called
"The Combo Spot". Was the guitar show where you bought this in Milwaukee? I may have been the guy who sold it to you.
Hope this helps, I may know a guy who has some cabs for sale if you want. Hope you have a strong back, they are VERY heavy.
Mark
MarkOMatic
Peasant

Postby MarkOMatic on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:39 am

Hi,
I just replied to you question, but I made a mistake. The Bassmaster & Leadmaster only came in the (standard) , (no extra tag) & the 290.
The voicemaster had the option for the 580. I see now that that was my old amp, I can tell by the replaced handle. By the way, "Tubes & More" in chicago
has those tubes.
Thanks,
Mark
MarkOMatic
Peasant

Postby P-Dawg on Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:50 pm

5879?
7199?
6AN8?
If you believe in coincidence, you're not looking close enough-Joe Leaphorn
P-Dawg
Knight

Postby MarkOMatic on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:27 am

here is the link for the place in Chicago:
http://www.tubesandmore.com/

I know they have 7791s, I bought 2. Is that your question?
Mark
MarkOMatic
Peasant

Re: eros 290 bassmaster. anybody ever heard of this? dynaco

Postby Lone note on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:34 pm

I've been looking for anyone to post anything about Eros amp rigs. In 1970 my brother had a three piece band that used Eros 4x15 speaker cabs for everything. It was pretty impressive stage set at the time, especially in our small basement. they used a stack of two on each side for PA and one each for the bass and the lead.

I bought one of them when they split and used it under a 65 Fender Showman for many years. It had JBLs in it, of this I am certain. I still have this monster cabinet today in structural and cosmetically very good condition, although I haven't used it in over a decade. The speakers were harvested for use in smaller, more back-friendly cabs. A 70s Fender 2x15 cabinet would fit inside it with room to spare.

Aside from those cabinets I've only seen one other ever and that was the bass player of one of the dozens of bands that played on the matchbox size 'Rock Stage' at SummerFest in Milwaukee in 1976. I knew the company was located in the Milwaukee area. Never saw an amp with the name on it, just these seven 4x15 cabs.

I wish this forum had come up in my searches years ago!
Lone note
Peasant

Re: eros 290 bassmaster. anybody ever heard of this? dynaco

Postby Rick L on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:18 pm

Eros was a company out of Waukesha, Wisconsin and closed it's doors around 1973 The owners name was Dave Tews. Our Group called "The Haze" used a lot of their equipment. We had an "Eros 290 Pa Head" with 2 Eros Speaker cabnets with 4- 15' JBL Lansings in each one plus 2- 20' horns. Our bass player had a Eros 290 Bassmaster head with 4- 15' JBL Bass speakers. I haven't seen any of this equipment in almost 45 years. It's great that you found that head and your right they could rely put out the power!!!
Rick L
Rick L
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers