SUNN's "overdrive"

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Postby wrstuart on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:01 pm

Interesting. I think that they do have a lot of clean headroom (Sunn amps in general). They break up eventually, but only at very high volumes, not unlike the earl 70s Hiwatts. I have a 100S and 200S. I haven't had the nerve to turn either amp all the way because they are so loud and I don't want the police knocking on my door, but I have come closest with the 200S and it does overdrive nicely. Since both the Who and Hendrix (to name a few) played these amps during their careers, the fact that they sound good overdriven shouldn't be too much of a shock. Sadly, I am selling the 200S because I have just too many amps!
wrstuart
Squire

Coliseum PA amp...

Postby tubetek on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:47 am

The SUNN Coliseum PA amp was most notably used (as a guitar amp)in the late 60s-70s by the great, underrated Leslie West of Mountain. They use KT88 outputs, DUAL tube rectifiers, dual chokes,and HUGE transformers; Great for Loud n' clean (bass etc). Don't hack it up, it's a classic (just expensive to feed!!)
tubetek
tubetek
Court Jester

Postby AbbeSauniere on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:19 pm

augur2 wrote:Thanks for the clear info !

But in fact..it was really not clean..
One of the most surprising natural overdrive sound I have ever heard..

Don't you think it is comparable to an Orange OR120 ?
The high powered Sunns, Oranges, Ampeg V series, Hiwatts, Sound Citys are all "loud and clean" amps. They have natural overdrive, but not untill you get into the ear bleeding volume levels, i.e. cranked.
AbbeSauniere
Certified

Postby Swarty on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:56 pm

It sound like a Model T reissue to me. I've owned several old Sunns, and no matter how much I cranked them they never got fuzzy... barely any overdrive... just brutally loud.
Swarty
Baron

Postby VikingOne on Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:10 am

I used to own a Sunn 2000S with KT88s and dual recto. Pretty much what youre talking about. If you cranked it (which I did often) it would distort nicely. Not clean at all. Leslie West didn't get a clean sound either out of one.
VikingOne
Baron

Postby nashjeffers on Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:26 am

Yes, Model T. I bet he had some sort of pedal to make it distort and be fuzzy.

nashjeffers
Certified

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers