Hilgen Amplifier schematic

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Hilgen Amplifier schematic

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:28 am

Well, she isn't an Ampeg, but has 7591 tubes, reverb and tremelo. Looking for a schematic for a '65 Hilgen champion model 2523. These were made in Hillside, New Jersey up until the late 60's. Seems to be a cross between a Fender and an Ampeg. ANY information from anyone owning or knowing about the demise of the company that made these would be appreciated.

"Have you ever been experienced? Well....."
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby jeffp013 on Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:23 pm

I can't help with the schematic, I'd love one myself! I will say that the Hilgen is an interesting sounding little devil though.....WWWAAAAYYYYY too expensive to re-tube. But I guess if that's a major concern, I shouldn't be buyin' oddball amps! Anyway, good luck and if ya find a print, send it my way.
Pawn shops and flea markets are the gear junkies' All-You-Can-Eat-Buffet.....
jeffp013
Peasant

hilgen

Postby all aroundman on Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:54 am

I have a B2501 which takes the paint off the walls...I'll be lookin around for the schematics as well.Great amp but the tremelo sucs!
all aroundman

Postby soundtech on Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:01 am

I have the amp chassis only of a B2501 - sounds killer through a single 12!!
I have traced out the schematic, let me know where to email you a copy.

I also have recently picked up a Hilgen Challenger R2024 in need of some work, and I will be producing a schematic for that too.
soundtech
Peasant

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:47 am

Welcome aboard! A copy of that would be very much appreciated, please send to:

maschinenmann@hotmail.com

thanks! 8)
ImageImageImage

Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby Jerry P on Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:19 pm

Bring it over and we'll draw one up! I'll do some digging, I thought I drew one up for Hal's Hilgen I had here a while back. I love those amps!
Jerry
Jerry P
Page

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:59 pm

Hey man, you gonna get any time off for good behavior over the holidays? :P These have really clean layouts, true ptp and relatively easy to draw. 8)
ImageImageImage

Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby Jerry P on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:35 pm

I wish I could get a break! I'm buried in work and new projects. Give me a shout if you wanna draw it up and shoot the shit for a while, I'll make time.
Jerry
Jerry P
Page

Postby BL!AST on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:05 am

wow! i pulled a hilgen b25 head and matching 2x12 cabinet off of a curb in clark nj when i was younger (before i knew anything about amps). i plugged it in and the lights came on and it was loud. i cleaned the mold off and everything. it sounded muddy and only good with a strat... so i got electro harmonix 7591 and plugged them in and it sounded kinda cool when cranked. eventually i just fell in love with ampegs and traded it for a gemini II.
mine didnt have tremolo or anything fancy, 2 channels, 2 inputs each, tone and volume controls.

the bass tone i got with it going through an old sunn 1x15 cabinet was great. we recorded it but i dont know where the recordings went too.

i did some research.. all i could find out is that they were a small company from hillside who made amps. their competition was sano, also from the same area in NJ and then both seemed to stop production once ampeg blew up. I asked Dennis at Central Jersey music repair.. and he said he beleived the company was swedish. So who knows.
BL!AST
Squire

Re: Hilgen Amplifier schematic

Postby tboulette on Wed May 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread for this, but:

Hey soundtech, would you mind sending me copies of the Hilgen schematics you've produced? As you know, there's nothing on the web, and a friend of mine is working on a website for Hilgen amps: http://www.hilgenamplifiers.net/ You can send to me at tboulette1168 [at] hotmail [dot] com.

Thanks!
tboulette
Peasant

Postby P-Dawg on Fri May 24, 2013 7:19 pm

It would be great if your pal reproduces them on his site!
If you believe in coincidence, you're not looking close enough-Joe Leaphorn
P-Dawg
Knight

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Fri May 24, 2013 11:47 pm

Finally, someone knows something about these amps!! I have a small collection, one Champion head that I got needing a power transformer when I was 15, it became my number one for the next three years. Scored a matching Champion head and cab with original Heppners a few years back and a 15" basso profundo combo (oh my!) at an amp show a while back as well. Very cool, well made and under-rated amps, I never could find out anything about who made them and what happened to the company.

Kudos to John Bannon for digging up all of that information and putting it up on the web! :cheers:
ImageImageImage

Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Fri May 24, 2013 11:57 pm

tboulette wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread for this, but:

Hey soundtech, would you mind sending me copies of the Hilgen schematics you've produced? As you know, there's nothing on the web, and a friend of mine is working on a website for Hilgen amps: http://www.hilgenamplifiers.net/ You can send to me at tboulette1168 [at] hotmail [dot] com.

Thanks!

Check yer inbox. :wink: :cheers:
ImageImageImage

Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby P-Dawg on Sun May 26, 2013 4:20 am

Baron, can you do the same for me? My address is rwluedemanATmchsiDOTcom.

FYI it was spelled with 2 n's but got anglicised in the first world war. I'm third generation, family's from the Spreewald.
If you believe in coincidence, you're not looking close enough-Joe Leaphorn
P-Dawg
Knight

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sun May 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Sehr gut!

I'm working on a Champion schematic from one of my unmolested heads and will forward that to John for his site after I triple check it for accuracy.

John coined a term that I think is pretty neat, if you own one of these you are considered a "Hilgenite!!" :lol: 8)
ImageImageImage

Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Next

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers