HELP!!! Why is my amp doing this?!?

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

HELP!!! Why is my amp doing this?!?

Postby AMGraham on Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:32 pm

OK, here's the story...<P>My bass amp is an ampeg SVT-200T (solid state). When I used to play out with it when I first started playing it the signal would cut in and out. I'd flip the power switch a couple of times, let it warm up a few min, and all would be good. Since then I have used it at least weekly for rehersal (it sat in a heated house), and worked fine whenever I wanted.<P>Now here's the big one. I was gonna jam with some friends the other day, and wanted to use my big rig. So I brought it home and left it in the truck over night. Next morning I pulled it out, hooked it up, and it took about 20 min or so to quit cutting the signal in and out. Flipping the switch would make it go strong for a few min, then quit again.<P>Why is this happening? WHAT IS HAPPENING? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Why does it only do it cold? I'm hoping to play some shows this summer, so I want to try to sort this out first.<P>Thanks for ANY info you can provide!<P>AG
Bassist for "East November". Check out our website: <A HREF="http://www.eastnovember.com" TARGET=_blank>East November</A>
AMGraham
Certified

Re: HELP!!! Why is my amp doing this?!?

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:44 pm

I would bet that in the summer, it would work <B>GREAT</B>!!! :roll:<P>As long as it doesn't get below 50ºF... :roll:
ImageImageImage

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." --- Thomas Jefferson
®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby Custom50 on Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:44 pm

I think billy c's pointing you in the right direction. A couple wild guesses. First, depending on how cold it was overnight, you probably want your rig to "climatize" before firing it up. There could be probably condensation all over the metal chassis and components just waiting to drip and cause trouble once you really start heating it up. Let the thing come up to room temp. Also, you could possibly have a bad/cold solder joint someplace that's just going intermittent when it's cold because the connection is contracting.
Never let the music get in the way of the stage act...
Custom50
Page

Postby AMGraham on Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:54 am

We'll, all I know is that I've seen bands play these amps outside in 40-50 degree weather with no problem. Also, I checked the chassis for condensation while I was having the problem, and there was none. I'm gonna try to pull the chassis out and check all the conections, see if I can spot anything obvious. I mean, I could see problems like this with tubes, but solidstate? Even my Marshall will fire right up cold (i don't wind it up though for a few minutes).<P>Any other ideas/experiences?<P>AG<P>PS- Billy C- I thought about that, but I don't want to chance it in front of a crowd, knowhutImean?
Bassist for "East November". Check out our website: <A HREF="http://www.eastnovember.com" TARGET=_blank>East November</A>
AMGraham
Certified

Postby Custom50 on Wed Feb 20, 2002 4:14 pm

Whether Tube or SS, PTP or PCB, a bad connection can still bite you. They know no boundaries! ;)
Never let the music get in the way of the stage act...
Custom50
Page

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers