Bedrock Amps?

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Bedrock Amps?

Postby telecat on Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:57 am

Hi guys! I'm looking at Bedrock 600 212 combo. Anybody have any experience with these amps? I cant find much info about them. The guys at Hamer Fan Club were luke warm about them. Price is good but I don't want a turd either!

t
telecat
Peasant

Re: Bedrock Amps?

Postby Bill Walker on Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:02 am

Someone else was asking about these on a different thread, so I'll repeat what I said there. There is nothing special about Bedrocks. One thing that is rather lousy is that the tone controls are totally dead. They do absolutely nothing. This is especially bad, as they sound rather bland. I would keep looking.
Bill Walker
Certified

Postby BIG Dave on Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:46 am

FWIW, <HERE> is an article from Vintage Guitar mag about Bedrock amps.
BIG Dave
Knight

Postby telecat on Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:13 am

Thanks guys for the replies. That vintage guitar article was good. I guess like many companies, some of their product are good and some are bad.

t
telecat
Peasant

Postby RL on Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:46 am

I've played a BC75 2x12 combo that was very big and Marshally sounding that I thought was pretty cool. That amp was loud.

I own a Royale Reverb 2x12 combo which the VG article also mentions. It is powered by two EL34's and they said puts out about 35 watts but sounds like a 50 watter.

I don't know if this amp is designed with a cascading pre-amp (I suspect it is), then that might be one of the reasons why the tone controls are so sublte.
It is definitely not a ho-hum sounding amp though.
RL
Peasant

Postby telecat on Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:54 pm

Fierce_carrot

Right now I have a TopHat Club Deluxe which has a nice crisp top end but creams out near 3/4 volume. Does your 600 have Vox like cosmetics? I know some have Mesa like cosmetics with controls on the front. Is yours tube rectified? I read somewhere on the internet Bedrock used Fane speakers. Would Weber bluedogs be a good choice? Sorry for so many questions but since you actually own one, your feedback is greatly appreciated!!!!

t
telecat
Peasant

Postby telecat on Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:05 am

Fierce_Carrot:

Well I pulled the trigger on the Bedrock. I've been playing for a couple of hours now. This is not a plug and play amp. Tone controls seem to be interactive. Turn the bass up and treble rolls off. Treble is real touchy. I've got no manual so I'm shooting in the dark here.

How do you get a clean sound out of this amp????
on the clean channel, to get the volume anything near loud, requires the volume on 7 or 8 (which distorts like a Fender Deluxe Reverb). This is the same sound level as 2.5-3 master volume level on the dirty channel. Does this sound right?

Getting a not so high endy dirty channel means a dark, muffled clean. Getting a normal clean means a shrill dirty sound. Is this just the evils of this amps shared controls?

Dirty channel is definitely Vox on steroids! Big pumped sound and very crunchy! Not sure what the tight loose switches do. I don't see this amp coping the U2 chime. More a Brian May'ish thing.

Any suggested settings. I've got a couple days to decide on keeping it.

Your help would be appreciated!

t
telecat
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers