Vintage 60's Panaramic 1210 tube amp

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Vintage 60's Panaramic 1210 tube amp

Postby panaramic1210 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi,

I have a vintage 60s Panaramic amp Model 1210 that is not in working condition. It powers up, but I don’t get any sound from the speaker. All the tubes are in place but I have no idea if one or more of them might be inoperative. This is the model I’m referring to: https://reverb.com/item/550216-1960-s-p ... tonemaster From the website, it appears this amp was actually a magnatone 214 that was packaged under a different name.

It was my first amp, and yet I really have no plans to keep it. If it’d be worthwhile to spend some money to get it fixed and then be able to get a decent price for it in return, I’d be willing to do that. I was in contact with a guy who repairs amps in my area, and while he expressed a willingness to work on it, he also suggested possibly selling it as is as a "project" amp for someone who might be interested. I'll probably list it on the classified section here if I can determine a price on it.

Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated. Thanks...

Keith
panaramic1210
Peasant

Re: Vintage 60's Panaramic 1210 tube amp

Postby Dean Jr. on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:56 pm

the amp needs work, obviously. the electrolytics need to be replaced and the power cord will need to be changed to a 3-way grounded cord. IF your tech has not yet advised, it would be best not to turn the map back on.
In its present condition it is worth nowhere near what was being asked in that reverb.com sale. Who knows what it went for. I did not try to get to the history of the sale. IF the amp was offered to me in its present condition, it is worth no more than perhaps $125. Until some work is done on it, one does not know if the transformers or speaker are in working condition. IF those have to be replaced, then the value is affected greatly. IF one puts the money into the recap and good service and all major components are functional and original, then it is worth much more. I don't buy unknown quantities at 'known quantity' prices. This keeps a person from losing money on old dead amps. :old:
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby panaramic1210 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:21 am

Dean,

Thanks for your thoughts on my amp. Not sure what I want to do with it. The thought of simply taking it to electronics recycling still tugs at me, though I somehow hate to see it wind up that way. And, to sink alot of money into it may not be all that worth it either. I'm interested, though, why you suggest not turning it back on? What harm can that do?

Keith
panaramic1210
Peasant

Postby Dean Jr. on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Keith, when an amp has been sitting for a long time and then full voltage is applied, the electrolytics can fail catastrophically and damage the major components....the transformers. IF you wanted to bring that amp back 'online', it is best to use a Variac to bring the amp up from a starting point of say 20 volts and increase that voltage by 10 volts every 30-45 minutes. This process gives the electrolytics a chance to reform. I have a 1937 Gibson EH-150 going through this process today. A visual inspection of the circuit would be advisable before beginning that process....just to see if there has been a failure of a big cap or other component at some point in the past...and to test tubes.
You never know what is going on until you get one of these amps that has been sitting silent for years back to a point where it will accept full voltage. IF the amp yields loud sounds at that point, then one can assume with some certainty that the transformers are still good....and then you know what the amp is worth. Here's an example.....a 1959 Premier Md. 88 was recently found in a barn. The people who own the barn, which was being cleaned out due to the sale of the grandparent's farm, have no idea why the amp was there. ....because no one in the family played music. I tore the amp down for visual inspection....all clean and original, tubes good, no catastrophic failure of any electrolytic caps. I put the amp through the process of coming up to full voltage....and it made sounds. The sounds were not good...and they were not appropriately loud for a 2 x 6550 amp, ime. This tells me that I do NOT want to put a lot of money into the amp in purchasing it because the repair could very likely entail a new transformer....and in addition to being an expensive repair, a replacement transformer ruins vintage collectable value. Like I noted.....I don't like to lose money on an old amp, so I buy according to my understanding of what might be the worst case scenario.
Dean Jr.
Page

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers