NAD - Magnatone MP1 - questions within

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

NAD - Magnatone MP1 - questions within

Postby bloodspoint on Fri May 19, 2017 1:33 am

I picked up a new project. An Estey era Magnatone MP1. I know this isn't one of the holy grail Maggies, but I got it nearly free, and it mostly works. Sounds great as an amp, actually, but here are the questions.
It's this one, here:

http://www.magnatoneamps.com/schematics ... ne_mp1.gif

- Reverb - the previous owner said the reverb had been turned into an extra gain, and it does add gain if the reverb knob is turned up. I'd like to restore the reverb circuit, but I don't exactly know how much was changed yet, or what parts I might be missing. I'm wondering though, if that mod might also be responsible for the second question.

- Tremolo - The controls work, and the indicator light on the panel flashes and the speed changes, but there's no tremolo effect happening to the audio, plugged into the Instrument or mic channels. I haven't opened it up yet, and I'm going out of town, so I won't be able to for a bit.

I'm not great with schematics, but it looks to me like maybe if the audio signal was diverted so as not to go to the reverb tank, it might also not be getting to the tremolo circuitry. In my barely able to follow it interpretation of the above schematic, am I seeing that the two are tied together normally, so that when the signal was shunted away from the reverb, it's probably also skipping the tremolo?

It's a cool amp either way, and seems otherwise electrically healthy and noise-free, but the completist in me would like to restore the reverb and tremolo.

Also, there's a foot switch jack about every three controls on the front. I'm assuming those are like Fender style TS jacks for the reverb and tremolo? The one next to the inputs I tried already, and it seems to switch the gain higher and lower if I'm plugged into the high gain input on the instrument channel. I did also try, just for fun, to see if the tremolo just needed a switch plugged in, similar to the way a Fender works, but that doesn't seem to be the issue, or at least not the only one.

Thanks, guys!
Bloodspoint Studio
"This is our concern, Dude..."
bloodspoint
Court Jester

Re: NAD - Magnatone MP1 - questions within

Postby tonewoods on Fri May 19, 2017 8:05 pm

I had one of these, and it was my go-to amp for a Vox AC15 sound to tape...
Wish I'd kept it...
"Guitar sound is basically where it all starts and ends for me. Give me a brownface Deluxe and that reverb tank, and we’ll get it done.”
--Joe Bonamassa
tonewoods
Certified

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers