Lesmann Amps.....who made them?

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Lesmann Amps.....who made them?

Postby Tomm Williams on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:46 pm

I recently acquired a cool old Lesmann accordion amp with a 15" speaker. Right now it's at Fargen Amps being tuned up and having Ben look into modding the Accordion input for a 1/4" guitar cable. There is a 1/4" for a mic but I asked Ben to determine if the accordion input might offer different tone circuits and hopefully they can be jumped. It looks very similar to any number of Ampegs I've owned or seen, did Ampeg (or Sano) build these?
Tomm Williams
Peasant

Re: Lesmann Amps.....who made them?

Postby Dean Jr. on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Whoever built it was copying a tweed Fender, weren't they? That is...if it is this amp?

https://reverb.com/item/994148-vintage- ... eed-killer
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby Tomm Williams on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:51 pm

Yes that's the same amp I have. It looks so much like a couple of my Ampegs that it has me wondering. I'll get to pick it up in about another week or so.
Tomm Williams
Peasant

Postby Dean Jr. on Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:27 pm

It looks nothing like an Ampeg to me....the chassis and the layout look like a Fender....someone was copying what Leo did. One of the sales indicated the amp was like a tweed Pro. Your tech should be able to discern those types of similarities for you.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby Tomm Williams on Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:52 pm

I just found one clue that might mean something? Over in the Steel Guitar Forum is a post from 2005 talking about Lesmann accordions. According to the author, they were distributed for a period of a few years by Fender. There is no mention of the amps but I suppose it's possible that Fender might have had something to do with that as well. Far from a solid answer but more than I knew before.
Tomm Williams
Peasant

Postby Dean Jr. on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:41 pm

I have never heard Fender amps sold under any other name except for the White amps...student level amps in the mid-'50's..
but....that chassis and I am going to think that the circuit are very much derived from a Fender approach...which was based in the Western Electric schematics.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby Tomm Williams on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:36 am

I might never get a clear answer on this but regardless, cool amp.
Tomm Williams
Peasant

Postby Tomm Williams on Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:26 pm

Just got the amp back from Fargen Amps and it sounds great. He modded the accordion input for guitar and made a few other changes. I asked him if it looked similar to any other amp design he'd worked on, he said there were similarities to Ampeg but certainly not enough to be sure.
Tomm Williams
Peasant

Postby Torren61 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:27 pm

Congrats! Clips!
Torren61
Court Jester

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers