Pre Skylark ga-5

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Pre Skylark ga-5

Postby jdod64 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:12 pm

Excuse me if this is the wrong place in this forum..

I have recently required a Gibson ga-5 lp junior amp that is fitted with a 5x7 Rola oval speaker. the speaker is currently functioning yet shows signs of wear and will potentially need to be reconed or replaced. i have not been able to find any information on this specific speaker to find parts to recone. Will a shop have any more luck or should i start looking into replacing it with a 8 in driver... if i do replace it will it be as simple as cutting a new baffle and putting in
a 8in speaker with similar specs, does anyone have any experience with this amp...the cabinet is a lot shorter than the skylarks and was obviously never intended to hold a rounded speaker.

just looking for any information anyone might have. thank you very much.
jdod64
Peasant

Re: Pre Skylark ga-5

Postby dkevin on Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:49 pm

I had to replace a small oval Rola for a Les Paul Jr. amp some years ago and I used a Weber Sig8 . The speaker is installed on the original baffle from the rear and the baffle is mounted from the inside of the cabinet. Being round, the new speaker is centered on the oval cutout of the baffle but it does overlap the small cabinet opening. The amp sounds very good. Ted Weber described his 6x9 oval speakers as being somewhat quirky in frequency response. This (or most) modern 8" speaker helps give the amp a stronger voice IMO.
dkevin
Peasant

Re: Pre Skylark ga-5

Postby jdod64 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:25 pm

thank you dkevin for the info..

due to money constraints and not a terrible lot of info i have opted to put in a 6in donguang eminence here is the link
http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-6 ... m--299-402

speaker fits on the stock baffle also, i intended it to be temporary and was bought more for the cost and to use the amp while i either wait for weber to restock or till i can find a place to attempt a recone on the original but i have been extremely surprised at this speaker....as far as i can tell it is a oem built for a pedalboard and amp combo (weird i know) but it has proven to be excellent in both cost and tone.
jdod64
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers