Silvertone 1485 /1484 Reverb

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Silvertone 1485 /1484 Reverb

Postby Stratny2015 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:51 am

Hi there.

I got a couple of weeks ago a Silverstone 1485 fully functional, (reverb and tremolo included). The reverb was much better than I had expected given the reviews. I ran the amp through a Variac for 2 days and started playing. I love the distortion and sound specially at high volumes. I was trying the reverb and after a few minutes of play suddenly I had a spike in volume and the reverb died on me. When I turn on the reverb and play there is a cracking noise that disappears if I turn the reverb off. The tubes all glow similarly. Any suggestions? Tubes?

Anyone can recommend a reasonable tech in northern NJ familiar with these?
Stratny2015
Peasant

Re: Silvertone 1485 /1484 Reverb

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:33 am

Always start trouble shooting with replacing tube with a known good tube. If they're all the same you can just replace each one, and if it doesn't make a difference move to the next.

Can you see any tubes where the flashing has turned white? If air gets in, the flashing is turned to ash.

Had this happen to me with a mullard 12ax7, oh, the humanity.... :lol:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby stratele52 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:51 am

Tubes are not like bulb light, if they glow it do not mean they are good. Same if they not glow this do not mean they are bad.
stratele52
Knight

Postby Stratny2015 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:20 am

I replaced the pream tubes. A 6GC7 was to blame. All my research on the 1484/1485 reverb let me realize how lucky I am to still have the original reverb tank working. Its very difficult to rebuild the original piezo based tank and there are not dropp in replacements that would work without wiring changes. Mine now It works and despite much criticism for this reverb mine sounds decent (now that it works). I love this amp.
Stratny2015
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers