Traynor YGM-3 oddity

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Traynor YGM-3 oddity

Postby jaywalker on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Seller says this was a limited run "Whiteface" three hole. Wants $1100 same as a reissue but it has the goodies. Mustards, choke, etc. no relation to seller.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/4695250368.html

I'll post pics here later for posterity. Gotta go.
jaywalker
Baron

Re: Traynor YGM-3 oddity

Postby Brown Recluse on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:33 pm

I've got an even stranger Conservatory branded Traynor Guitar Mate that has the same white faceplate, however, the covering on mine is beige/light brown. I found mine on ebay years ago. The one on the LA Craigslist is the first time I've seen another one with a white faceplate.
Brown Recluse
Peasant

Postby jaywalker on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:34 am

This appears to be slightly older than mine. I'm assuming that fuse holders were used before the resettable type like mine has. Mine doesn't have the s/n plate on the wooden back panel (which also looks to be a different shape).

The gut shots would not display full size but appear to be the usual fare.

Is your Conservatory the same vintage with 3 inputs? I haven't seen one of those before.
Last edited by jaywalker on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaywalker
Baron

Postby parkhead on Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:54 am

they made a few... they are rare but nothing different than the regular YGM-3 of the same era.
I think I have one here, though they are rare even in Toronto.

around this time they would do small runs for other stores and chains
there were even some units made for a local accordion shop

recently a one of Blue tolex Blue Grillecloth YGM3 was on CL in Toronto
I was unable to confirm its authenticity

P
parkhead
Baron

Location: Rock & Roll isn't dead its just moved North of the Border

Postby Brown Recluse on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:52 am

Mine also has 3 inputs. I didn't pay a premium for mine. I had a few other Guitarmates, however, I kept the weird Conservatory branded one for its novel cosmetics.
Brown Recluse
Peasant

Postby PeterS on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:54 pm

I wonder if they sold those through something like the Ontario Conservatory of Music? By its name that sounds like some government-approved educational thing, but it was more of a sleazy door-to-door sales thing, talking parents into music lessons for their kids and selling them equipment at inflated prices.
PeterS
King

Postby ThisLifeILead on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:36 pm

oooo i like those white faceplates. never seen one of those before up here in manitoba.
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby Sether on Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:16 am

Traynor YGM3 Rare blue tolex , blue speaker grill cloth
Is a hack job. I purchased this amp advertised on Kijijji Toronto
and there is nothing original. The amp was recovered with a cheap vinyl
material and a real hack job. Be aware of this seller. His name is
Martin Briggs. He is still advertising different gear ie Roland BeeBaa
His phone # 416-791-0456.he will not answer his phone. Only text.
Be aware. He is a scam
Sether
Peasant

Postby BTM64 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:27 pm

Good day folks. See all this discussion about a YGM oddity so I thought I'd add a few words as well.
I recently bought a Conservatory YGM-3 and currently have it in the shop so I can use it.
Funny, when I saw the photo of it, I faintly remember seeing one of these before when I was a kid in the early 80's at Long and McQuades in Winnipeg. I say this because of the distict front panel.
Indeed it is quite unique - only has two inputs and no sigh/low switch next to the "Main" volume like the majority of YGMs. I would say a more simplfied version.
When I removed the chassis, I found the Schematics to YGM3 with Pete Traynor's name from Yorkville Sound on the bottom RHS of the copy of the original blueprint specs, but also a similar version of the schematic for the Conservatory (with the word "CONSERVATORY" on it as well).
Original Phillips 6BQ5's and 12AX7A's in there as well. Pretty much almost all original down to the mustard caps and fabric insulation on the wires underneath the chassis. Looks like someone was in there at least once though because it had a 3 prong cable. Found one cap had been replaced too. I decided to take a chance and try it out and low and behold it worked - pretty good for a strum or two and then the volume/sound deterorated rather quickly. so instead of an unintended and unwanted light show, I shut her down and packed it into the car for the professional to work on (not me).
No on/off toggle on the back just the one on the front so there is no standy - you're on or off. Two inputs on the back for Trem and Reverb and that's it. Fuse is internal in the chassis so hopefully it won't need to be accessed that often.
I'll try to post a photo or two. Won't let me right now do to size but I'll see if I can reduce the size of the files.
Anyone else here have one?
BTM64
Peasant

Postby jaywalker on Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:09 pm

Use a photo host like photobucket...copy and paste (IMG) code into your post here. Hit preview to see the pic then post
jaywalker
Baron

Postby BTM64 on Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Hello. Still trying to load photos.
I am not a fan of photobucket and storage elswhere than my hard drive so I would prefer to not open an account with one of those services. When I had one they kept pestering me to buy more storage space and I got sick of the e-mails so I just let my last "free subscription" fade away when it expired.

However, I did use special software to significantly reduce the size of the picture to about 50 Kb and also the pixel size down to the acceptable pixels limit (800 by 800) on this board - or even less, and still get an error message - here's what I recieve every time is ...

"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached"

So I guess I can't post any pictures. I have several but was planning on sharing shots of the front, back, schematic and a nice shot of the underneath of the chassis.
Sorry folks.
BTM64
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers