Traynor YGM-3 Speaker Reccomendations

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Re: Traynor YGM-3 Speaker Reccomendations

Postby marz on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:55 am

Back on speakers... a Celestion Blue or Gold sounds great if you are going for a Voxy sound. G12H30 will put you in Marshall territory. Weber 12F150, 12A125 or Jensen P12Q for a Fender tone. I've been switching back and forth between a Weber Ceramic Blue Dog and a 12F150 for playing mostly clean and you really can't go wrong...

A lot of people hotrod these amps into little Marshall clones. I think they really sound great clean. It sparkles and the low end is fantastic. It particularly stands out with a Gretsch or an electric 12 string.
marz
Peasant

Postby jaywalker on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:46 am

I stuck a Eminence Red Fang in mine. I like it a bunch but I haven't tried any others.
jaywalker
Baron

Postby guitbanger on Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:52 am

Although this is an old post, I thought I would attempt to clarify the question of wattage/power of the traynor ygm 3. The amp is in the range of 20 to 25 watts. Stratele52 seemed to believe that this was not possible of this amp, as well as a deluxe reverb, based on an RCA tube data sheet for a 6V6 tube in his manual. Here's the rub. The example he cited said 14 watts from a pair of 6V6's IN CLASS A PUSH PULL!!! The ygm and deluxe are class AB1!!!! Big difference. You won't find it in an RCA manual. The ygm 3's power section and pi are nearly identical to an earlier model fender tremolux model 6G9, fenders first 6bq5 amp. Sylvanias' tube manual does show,(albeit it 7189A) how to run in class AB1 to obtain these higher wattages. One of my sylvania manuals had this info available in 1958. Most companies didn't jump on the bandwagon until much later, preferring to use higher power tubes in their designs. (HiFi co. HH Scott did use this ab1 design in their fab 299 integrated amps.).
The ygm3 doesn't sound remotely like a vox or Marshall. Wishful thinking on the part of their owners, period. You want it to sound like a vox or a Marshall? I'll tell ya how, but I've already hijacked this thread enough.
One more thing (promise, lol). The 470 ohm resistor is not a screen resistor, but part of the b+ power rail, a dropping resistor. A choke could be used here instead (think fender 6v6 choke, 15h choke for vox ish, etc.) to greater benefit. Screen resistors are to be soldered directly to the pin to have the desired results!!! 100 ohms just fine.

guitbanger
guitbanger
Peasant

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers