Silvertone tolex

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Re: Silvertone tolex

Postby housekustoms on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:56 pm

zarfnober wrote:I still have some, not much. Trying to get more. Will post when ready.

Rocco

I appreciate your reply. Any idea what kind of timeline that might entail? I notice the previous post is a year old.

Thanks zarfnober!
I'm a little bit :old: now, but I still like to :jam:

housekustoms
Page

Postby housekustoms on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:27 pm

Bump! Any news on the propect of Silvertone tolex or who you were working with to acquire?

Thanks!
I'm a little bit :old: now, but I still like to :jam:

housekustoms
Page

Postby zarfnober on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:45 pm

The news is funding right now, have to buy 1000 yards to do it! I'll keep everyone posted, sorry about the wait, not anything I can do right now.

Rocco
zarfnober
Peasant

Postby Davegc on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:43 am

I may well be interested in coming in on that with you mate. I`ll pm you now.
Davegc
Peasant

Postby Stratny2015 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:07 pm

It's pretty close the the original pattern. I need to retolex a 1485 head and cab. Count me in when it comes. Idea on costs?
Stratny2015
Peasant

Postby too-many-strats on Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:32 am

Do you sell this by the yard? Got a 1484 that's been stripped & painted black.
too-many-strats
Peasant

Postby zarfnober on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Update: should be getting more tolex soon, at this point won't be selling it by the yard.

I am building some 1482 cabs, and a few 1484 cabs. Been using a friends shop to get everything ready, 8 assembled but not "finished" yet, and all wood cut and finger jointed for 17-18 more 1482's. I will be able to finish these while still in my apartment, which is a pain, but the real hard stuff is done, all baffles are cut too.

So, I'll have lead times for cabs covered with the Silvertone style tolex in a week or so, and other coverings too. Once assembled and prepped for tolex, I try for a 3-4 day lead time.

I'll keep you posted,

Rocco
zarfnober
Peasant

Postby zarfnober on Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:06 pm

too-many-strats wrote:Do you sell this by the yard? Got a 1484 that's been stripped & painted black.

I don't think I'll be selling it by the yard yet. As for recovering an original cab, Danelectro used very thin coverings, and the front edge on the cabs would be very difficult to cover with thicker material, not saying it can't be done, but not at all easy. You'd also probably screw up the particle board removing it.

The 1484 repro cabs I make are exact with the exception of the front edge, I do them like the early1474. Too hard to cover the original front edge.

The 1484 head cabs would be 1/2" birch, the cabs are actually 1/2" taller and wider because they are 3/4" pine, otherwise everything will be the same. I don't have a price yet for the cabs.

Rocco
zarfnober
Peasant

Re: Silvertone tolex update!

Postby zarfnober on Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:41 am

Update! I talked with my supplier today, gave him the required deposit and should have between 60-100 yards of close to original style tolex. He has two different, but nearly identical patterns. I think the photos are still here on this thread.

Anyway, I'm hoping to have it by the end of first week of March, I will keep everyone posted, and will be updating my website. Didn't want to say anything about this until I got confirmation from supplier.

As of now, I have no intention of selling it by the yard, my plan is to use it strictly for my repro cabs. I did not know when I'll be able to pay the price to get more made(1000 yards minimum). I have 23-1482 cabs, and 2-1484 cabs assembled. All that's needed is finish work for wood chips, rough spots, etc. I plan on covering about 1/2 dozen as soon as it arrives, I still have some left over from before too.

So, sorry for the wait, but it's coming soon! Thanks!

Rocco
zarfnober
Peasant

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers