montgomery ward 62 9056 speaker impedance

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

montgomery ward 62 9056 speaker impedance

Postby fredrum on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:42 am

so i was in nashville for a few days on a work related trip. we decided to stop at gruhns this morning to look around before making the exhausting 10 hour drive back home. on their website they had listed a "valco amp head" as is with no tubes and missing knobs for $40. being somewhat intrigued i asked about it while i was there, and they managed to find it for me. all they could tell me was that it didn't work at all. after taking a quick look i decided to buy it....at the very least i figured there were some useable parts, and it looked kind of cool. the only identification on it were the words "model 62 9056".

upon returning home i did some recearch and managed to find out it was a montgomery ward pa head. turns out all that was wrong with it besides the missing tubes was that someone tried to replace the standby switch, wired it wrong, and burned up the switch. i popped in the 2 6l6s and the 3 12ax7s and bypassed the standby switch just to see if it worked, held my breath and flipped the power switch and it turned right on. not the loudest thing in the world, but really warm and clean. my only problem is that i dont know what the proper speaker impedance is. i found a schematic for the gvc9056a, which appears to be the same exact amp with a slightly different layout, and there was a schematic for the speaker cabinet, which apparently had four 10" speakers wired in series parallel, but still nothing on the impedance.

does anyone have an idea what the proper speaker impedance is for this amp?
fredrum
Court Jester

Re: montgomery ward 62 9056 speaker impedance

Postby stratele52 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:32 am

Good chance it is a 8 ohms speaker load . To be sure you have to take some mesurement on output transformer with signal generator and multimeter. This test will tell you the transformer spec

Schematic avalaible here ; airline ward

www.schematicsunlimited.com/?z=airline-wards
stratele52
Knight

Postby fredrum on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:32 pm

thanks, i was thinking eight as well. i was hoping someone might know for sure, or at least be able to say that most valco made amps (from what little i was able to find out about these they were valco made, but i again am not sure) run at a certain impedance, like most fender amps run 4 ohms.
fredrum
Court Jester

Postby stratele52 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:57 pm

[quote="fredrum" ....... like most fender amps run 4 ohms.[/quote]

Yes , they mostly run at 4 ohms those with two speakers because Fender use two 8 ohms speakers in parallele. Fender run always in parallele. Bassman with 4 speaker run to 2 ohms. Fender amp with one speaker is 8 ohms.

But Airlines with 4 speaker series / parallele could also use 8 ohms speaker for a 8 ohms load or 4 ohms speakers for 4 ohms load ?
stratele52
Knight

Postby GGhelpless on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:10 am

I have one of these as well. I used it for the first time today and it works great.

What do you think one of these should sell for? I know you paid $40.

Mine is a little rusty and ripped but works great.

What do you think would be a fair http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/ggdar ... .jpeg.html
GGhelpless
Peasant

Postby stratele52 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:59 pm

stratele52
Knight

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers