Silvertone tolex

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Re: Silvertone tolex

Postby 57lpjr on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:13 pm

There is a piece of what I believe the Seller states is the original stuff on eBay as of this morning...no affiliation...
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby zarfnober on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:41 am

Update: I covered a new 1482 cab with the new tolex and brought it to the Chicago Vintage Show this past Sunday. I used the grill cloth that was on the donor amp, it actually cleans up good, but is hard to cover as there is no material to stretch, but it can be done. My friend at the nest booth brought along his original 1482 for comparison. As for the amp, all I did was add 3 prong chord, new bias (100mf)cap, added a 47mf cathode bypass cap and put in a Jensen P12Q 8ohm speaker. I talked with the folks at Antique Radio Supply about repo'ing the cap can too, hope they can do it.

Let me know what you think, so far every one that's seen it likes it, and the amp sounded great.

zarfnober

Postby zarfnober on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:45 am

[img][IMG]http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/zarfnober_photo/1482x2_zpsb82cf003.jpg[/img][/img]
zarfnober

Postby zarfnober on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:50 am

[img][IMG]http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/zarfnober_photo/1482x2_zpsb82cf003.jpg[/img][/img]
zarfnober

Postby zarfnober on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:51 am

Will someone PLEASE tell me how to post an /;<>:@$^#%&&'n picture? Thanks!

Rocco
zarfnober

Postby zarfnober on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:34 am

zarfnober

Postby Tman on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:46 am

Go to the Photobucket image you want to post, click on IMG code in the "Image Links" box. Right mouse click in the page you are putting it in, click paste then hit the submit button. You can also get the image code by holding your mouse over the picture while in your album until the image codes selection appears over the picture, click on the IMG code then past into your post. The only thing wrong with what you were doing was you had [img].......[/img] twice around your image location. If you delete the two outer [img].......[/img] off of it it would have worked fine. Does that make sense?

Last edited by Tman on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tman
Knight

Postby zarfnober on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:52 am

No comment TMan? It really does look much better in person, very busy here lately but will take more photos soon.

Rocco
zarfnober

Postby Tman on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:58 am

I think it looks great. :thumbsup:

You've got a winner. It looks WAAAAAAY more durable than the original stuff too which is a big plus.

On a side note, my preamp tube collection has gotten pretty deep and I even grabbed a set of Sylvania 6K6GT's to try out in my '67. It had all original glass in it when I got it. I've got to do some tube swapping in the '67 this weekend. I've got a pair of Sylvania 6V6GT's and a JJ ECC803S gold pin in V1 now and it's sounding pretty good but I want to go through my tube bin and see if I have anything in there that takes it to the next level. I've got a shipment of nice vintage glass on the way that may contain a winner.
Tman
Knight

Postby zarfnober on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:47 am

Thanks Tman! BTW the original amp came with mullard 12ax7's and Sylvania(Silvertone branded) 6V6GTA's, amp really sounds great.

Rocco
zarfnober

Postby Tman on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:44 am

They always seem to come loaded with vintage glass don't they? I love that! I got to the tube swapping yesterday.
It's a little OT for your thread so I put the details here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=101791&p=1010408#p1010408
Tman
Knight

Postby CNYMark on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Has anything happened on this topic. I have a 1484 amp with no cabinet, so I'm looking for material to use on a cabinet build and re-cover the head. Not looking for perfect, just the best available option.

Thanks

Mark
CNYMark
Peasant

Postby zarfnober on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:30 am

I still have some material, and will get more once I have a place to work out of. Currently in apartment since moving to Va. Send me a pm or an email and I'll keep you posted.

Rocco
roccoegizio@comcast.net
zarfnober
Peasant

Postby housekustoms on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Just wondering if there turned out to be a supply similar to the old Silvertone Salt & Pepper covering?

Just need enough for a 1484 head.

Thx!
I'm a little bit :old: now, but I still like to :jam:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
housekustoms
Page

Postby zarfnober on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:28 pm

I still have some, not much. Trying to get more. Will post when ready.

Rocco
zarfnober
Peasant

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers