Is this JMI amp worth the effort??

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

Is this JMI amp worth the effort??

Postby RexMez on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi all

My first post on this board- hope you can help!

I've had a JMI amp in my posession for a number of years now- the chassis has been tranplanted into a DIY cabinet, and the speaker cab that came with it contain 2x 10 inch "no names". The chassis appears to be aluminium, it has a red "JMI" face plate (it's all backwards facing a la AC30), 3 channels, I believe "point to point" wired, GZ34 (valve rectifier?). Due to an issue with the power cable (a round three pin type, will need replacing due to damage) it hadn't been fired up for some years; I did some exceptionally cavalier, temporary, wiring at the weekend, just to see if it still lights up, and all the valves were all aglow. Questions are- any ideas what model it could be (can't see any serial numbers on the chassis) and, if I get it serviced (or should I say, brought from the dead!!), am I likely to have a basically good quality amp, just in an unsightly box?

Cheers
RexMez
Peasant

Re: Is this JMI amp worth the effort??

Postby thebugman on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi and welcome!
Hmm...JMI, 3 channels, GZ34, red panel...
What makes you think it's not an AC30??
Once serviced, this is not only basically a good quality amp, but a premium sounding amp! If you're in the UK, you could contact John Chambers http://www.chambonino.com/
thebugman
Knight

Postby Strat59 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Likewise, Welcome to the Forum. Sounds very interesting. A Big + 1 to John
Chambers at www.chambonino.com/ Well worth a visit. Agree with thebugman
once serviced and tuned up it will be well worth it. John can resurrect most any
Vintage amp from the dead. :thumbsup:
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby RexMez on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:03 pm

Thanks very much for your replies. To be honest, it hadn't crossed my mind that it may be an AC30; I took your advice-The attached link from Champ Electronics website shows an image that is almost identical (except the valve rectifier is still in place on mine)

http://www.chambonino.com/routework/routewk11.html

I'll be getting in touch with John Chambers about getting this amp up and running. Many thanks for your help!
Cheers
Andy
RexMez
Peasant

Postby thebugman on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:24 am

RexMez wrote:Thanks very much for your replies. To be honest, it hadn't crossed my mind that it may be an AC30; I took your advice-The attached link from Champ Electronics website shows an image that is almost identical (except the valve rectifier is still in place on mine)

http://www.chambonino.com/routework/routewk11.html

I'll be getting in touch with John Chambers about getting this amp up and running. Many thanks for your help!
Cheers
Andy

He resurrected my grey panel AC30 just recently, great work. Get that AC30 serviced by John and you're in for a treat.
:cheers:
thebugman
Knight

Postby Strat59 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:09 am

Scored a beautiful Pre - Amp & Power Amp Section Selmer Zodiac Twin Thirty
serviced by John. The seller mentioned the fact, I emailed John and he confirmed
sending me his File Photo's of the amp in question. Real Gentleman.

His work is Superb & So Neat, sympathetic to the era of the amp. A Guy who knows
his Stuff !!! 8)
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers