WEM 2x12 cab - worth it?

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

WEM 2x12 cab - worth it?

Postby Pacafeliz on Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:41 pm

hey there!
found a minty clean, old WEM 2x12 cab, rated at 6 ohms.
really tempted of picking it up (100 euro), even though the hour drive.

i know Pink Floyd and stuff, but what else do i need to know about this thing? what speakers are usually in there? i think a hunny's a good deal, but i need to know if it will handle any of my heads (SC 50plus, SC B100, Orange OR120).

thanks!

Pat.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Re: WEM 2x12 cab - worth it?

Postby stratele52 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:56 am

stratele52
Knight

Postby Pacafeliz on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:46 pm

stratele52 wrote:http://wem-owners.com/cabs/instrument-cabs/starfinder-2x12-cab-circa-1968/

thanks but nope, it's one with the classic grille, like the ones Pink Floyd used.

looks like this:

This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

Pacafeliz
King

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:19 pm

Pacafeliz wrote: what speakers are usually in there? i think a hunny's a good deal, but i need to know if it will handle any of my heads (SC 50plus, SC B100, Orange OR120).

Cool cab! Originally, could have shipped with the usual suspects (Fane, Goodmans, Celestion). Gotta open it up and verify the model. I'd be surprised if any were rated over 50 watts each when new. I typically reduce those ratings 50% on vintage speakers, as a safety factor, and would suggest you might carefully run your 50Plus into it.

If the speakers have been swapped out over the years, maybe it could handle your 100+ watters.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Pacafeliz on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:35 am

thanks! stay tuned! ;)

Pacafeliz
King

Postby Gooner01 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:06 am

I have a couple of 2x15's, same cab design, rated at 100w at 12 ohms, 1 x Celestion and 1 x Goodmans (I think, no labels) in each. If the cab is in A1 condition then I would say yes, worth it. If it's tatty, then it depends what the speakers are.
Gooner01
Peasant

Postby Decades_D on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:27 pm

If it has 2x12s then it's a Super Dual Twelve. The WEM catalogue states it is suitable for amps up to 40 watts so you would probably, just about, get away with running a 50 watt amp through it - assuming it has its original drivers - but personally I wouldn't risk running a 50 watt valve amp at high volume through it. One way to check if the drivers are original is to see if they are 12 ohm drivers. WEM are the only company I know of that used 6 and 12 ohm drivers so if you have 2 x 12 ohm drivers wired in parallel to give you 6 ohms then chances are they are original. They could be Fane or Celestion but could also be Peerless - WEM used Peerless in a lot of cabs. Peerless are usually black with a horseshoe type black magnet. I've put a pair of Goodmans Audiom 12P drivers in my own cab (http://wem-owners.com/cabs/instrument-c ... right-cab/) and it sounds pretty good. I haven't seen one come on the market recently but if it's in near mint condition I would say value is around £150-£200 in the UK but it might fetch a lot more outside the UK as they are even harder to find. If you send me some pics I'll put them on my WEM-Owners website (email address is at the bottom of the home page).
Decades_D
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers