Geloso G.213/A

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

Geloso G.213/A

Postby Racing on Sat May 21, 2016 11:59 am

After what we might call a rocky ride the last few months,back on track.

As many of you know i´m partial to the Geloso amps. High quality hardware in short,and those that especially have my interest are the 6V6 and EL84 amps. Yeah well,that and the really old ones.
This then is a REAL small amp made back in 1949

...which some idiot had basically DIPPED in black paint! It looks really awful but is less of an issue to me really as paint does come off... After all,hotrods is the name of the game and it´s to be completely picked apart anyways.

That said that there is of way more importance. To the right a 5V4-G followed by a pair of old JAN-RCA 6V6´s and in turn a pair of 12SL7´s underneath them screens.

Out rear we find the usual Geloso "pick any impedance you could ever dream up" speaker out,we find the voltage selector and sorry to say the insert for it is AWOL and we in turn find this really old diode. That radiator looking thingy there and that´s where negative bias voltage is extracted.

Well. Gonna retire that. For sure.

That much for the sellers pictures...
Racing
Squire

Re: Geloso G.213/A

Postby Racing on Sat May 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Sho´nuff it showed up. Dustbunnies and all.

At least them spraybombs hadn´t reached in there! Checked all the e-lytes on my LCR and they were against all odds good to go. Them small "butter packages" not included though.

...which were all shot.

Wings of time huh :) ? Rather charming IMO.

So,replaced those in a hip-hap manner for bench work to get the thing up and going.

Cleaned the glass out.

The ever present Geloso "tube chart". :D

So. Installed a few old mustards. Old wax caps we do NOT trust..and fire in the hole!

Sure enough. It worked. Didn´t sound as good as the 218 or 219 stock but..it worked at least. And no matter,it was to be picked all apart anyways right..

The one i forgot to replace was the amps "death cap". Well,guess what went boom! :lol:

That black goo DOES come off with a little elbow grease and washing acetone. Hm..
Racing
Squire

Postby Racing on Sat May 21, 2016 12:16 pm

An amp like this 213 is really more about cleaning up then hotroding at first.
As you can gather from the pics the nick it´s in isn´t exactly immaculate.

As the voltage selector was missing,the insert that is,i simply folded a bit of aluminium 2mm weldrod and in turn installed the selector per se on stands so it ended up within the chassis. Need a lid for it tho...

Ah. Preamp. We keep the 12SL7s..have used their little brother the 6SL7 before with real good results. In turn...we add one... :mrgreen:

The stock tagboard got a new job as the main smoothing cap and drop resistor board. Yes...that there´s glue. Mainly to keep them in place.

These old Gelosos often contain chokes of varying numbers. Their wiring is often dry rotted as old Binson stuff is which is why we replace it.

It cleaned up didn´t it.

Same for the impedance selector for speaker out. That and a few fresh screws..yeah well.

No doubt the old warrior is red since..! All you motorheads out there...Rosso 501 no less,which is where the amp´s gotten its new name. Testa Rossa!
What could be more becoming seing its Italian origins?

Sure enough,coming together
Racing
Squire

Postby Racing on Sat May 21, 2016 12:28 pm

Nope. Not for the shy or faint of heart.

As the stock tube sockets didn´t show any signs of mishap i just cleaned them out and installed them with fresh fasteners.

..and by here the transformers were rewired within and what not. I opted to install a number of fuse holders. For heaters,for HT secondary AC ,for mains..for B+.

..and as you can see behind the last 12SL7 there´s a spy in there...an EF-86.

Again. This is a REALLY small amp. Ie;it does get crowded. Yep. Individual controls for powertube bias.

For instance,i had to relocate the chokes. For plain space reasons. In turn,the 12SL7´s use DC voltage for their heaters and they´re wired in series. Ie;for 24VDC in other words and seing the WAY more effective bias circuit setup that voltage was WAY off now..hence the 150 Ohm ceramic resistor for the heater in series... Made me end up with 23VDC...good enough.
As such i fired the thing up again and B+ came all in at 400VDC @ 23mA pro 6V6. Not to shabby!

Yep. It started to come together out back too.

This tho..is where i became uncertain. Them old Fender knobs...nah... I dunno. Switches needs to be added though as well as yet a few pots. For PPIMV control mainly.

Hood of it got a Fender style carrying strap.

Well. The amp got chicken heads all said and done...and the James control of it 4 switches all in all,which makes for a REAL wide amp as far as tonality.
Checked output power and it ended up at 27w peak! Not to shabby huh? Loud as hell in short,seing the after all limited pair of 6V6 tubes. Them extra 100V and the use of zeners vs g2 tells the story.
Racing
Squire

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers