Matamp/White Amplification LW100

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

Matamp/White Amplification LW100

Postby BaronVonKale on Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:39 pm

Heya everyone!

I bought a White Amplification branded Tour Range/LW100 Matamp a while back, and since there's not that much info about these around, I thought I'd post it's story and a couple of pics here, as this forum was great help for me when I was trying to do research about these myself.

This amp was used by a bass player for some years before I bought it. He had originally got it from an amp tech who was waiting for the original owner to provide him with instructions on what he wanted to do with it. The original owner decided to sell it, and the tech serviced it according to the Orange OD120 schematics, so I reckon the schematic is not 100% accurate to what the amp originally left the factory with. The only identifying markings on the amp are as follows:

1) "Tour Range" stamped on the front panel, partially hidden by the front baffle (guess someone made a bit of a measurement error).
2) Model "MN-LW100" stamped on the back. Anyone know what the MN stands for?
3) Serial number "SN-582" stamped on the back.
4) A "TESTED" sticker inside the chassis with the date 2/3/76 or 2/8/76 and the initials A. C. on it.
5) Douglas transformers (insanely large ones).
6) The PCB, AFAIK, is the original Matamp GT120 PCB.

Soundwise, it's hands down the best amp I've ever played for the sound I personally adore. The overdrive is exceptional, and with the pre-gain cranked it goes straight into fuzz territory. These were supposedly built by Matamp for a music store called White. That's pretty much all I know of the amp as of now, but I've sent Matamp an e-mail with the photos just in case they can tell me something more about it's here. They seem to be pretty few and far between, and information is scarce, but if anyone knows anything more about these, I'd love to hear it!

Here's a couple of pics. Obviously the badge is just something I made to fill the empty spot left by the missing WHITE badge.

BaronVonKale
Peasant

Re: Matamp/White Amplification LW100

Postby Mr. Foxen on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:59 pm

I have one, someone cooked of the PT with 6550 though. Didn't know the impedance selector was original to it, seemed crude.
New music: https://warriorpope.bandcamp.com/album/anchorite
Gear tinkering blog: http://ampstack.wordpress.com/
Made a Facebook page for my ampguts stuff. Feel free to come post amp guts and rig shots: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ampstack/351966881575839
Mr. Foxen
Squire

Re: Matamp/White Amplification LW100

Postby BaronVonKale on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:42 am

I took it to a good tech yesterday to restore it back to the original GT120 schematic and clean up the botch jobs of the previous dude. Can't wait to get it back!
BaronVonKale
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers