SUPREM Concord (German) - Schematic?

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

SUPREM Concord (German) - Schematic?

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:17 pm

Not a British amp, but this is the closest section. Does anyone have a schematic for a (German-built) SUPREM Concord (model 1) amp?

I've got a tube rectified 2 x EL34 version with DIN inputs that I'd like to resurrect. Can't find much via google. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Re: SUPREM Concord (German) - Schematic?

Postby stratele52 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:04 pm

I hundred of schematics and many link to find ; nothing about Suprem :cry:
stratele52
Knight

Postby Racing on Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:05 am

http://www.el-me-se.de/old/index.html

In essence many of the later EL-34 amps from Suprem were just deviations for a given theme. That means that the schematics for for instance 40 watter will resemble the one for your concord.

http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/misc/Suprem_Luxor_40.html

To my findings there´s three time eras of the Suprem amps. The 50´s stuff,the early 60´s and in turn late 60´s/early 70´s. The Concord comes in as the latter.

Some of them were marketed as rather cheap amps which in reality they were not. Funky built tho... A rather high number of them were designed with UL taps for the powertubes. However them UL setups are NOT fed via B+ but more so after a given drop resistor and hence the UL winding is separate. Ie; it can be disconnected at will. They´re all hardwired tho.

More then that...ask.
I´ve had my mits into a few of them while not all by any means. To this day own a small Piccolo and a high wattage Club DL. The one with a GZ-34 rectifier and a pair of EL-34´s for power.
Have owned several more though,like the early (tube version) concord (there was a later transistor one too),the Suprem 40 (schem above) and so forth.
Last edited by Racing on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racing
Squire

Postby stratele52 on Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:25 am

Great link Prowessamp , I have it but never look on Miscelaneous
stratele52
Knight

Postby Racing on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:50 am

Uhu.

The Suprem amps are rather unsong heroes IMO. As stated a bit funky to the build in as much that all of the early ones are truly hardwired. Ie;leg to leg and the whole thing secured in PVC tubing.
I guess one could always keep that intact but TBH i see them as prime candidates for the install of a fresh tag or turretboard. Cleans the mess up considerably.

Due to them being under the radar so to say they can often be found at bargain bin prices in Germany. Either e-bay or "kleinanzeigen". The older ones,like the early Piccolo and the Club/Solist and what not along that theme has struck me as more involved and thus better builds.

If it´s one thing NONE of them got aboard tho it´s speakers we find use for today. From that respect it comes down to one thing only,replacing them.

The Club DL of mine is a sort of gem. Heavily modified from a topology view,but none the less the exterior asf is still all there. Had a hell of a time making a "regular" 12 inch speaker fit,but..got it right in the end.
See...one thing all of the early amps have in common,as combos,is that they´re rather light. The small Piccolo weighs in at a mere 7kg and the Club DL in turn,as a true 50 watter,at approx 14kg with a way more contemporary Eminence Cannbis in there.
Racing
Squire

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Thank you SO much, Racing!

Google kept flooding me with references to Supro and other manufacturers who named their models Supreme.

I was intrigued when this Concord appeared on a local craigslist ad. It's now my winter restoration project.

As to your other comments, yes, the transformers appear lighter than my 2 x EL34 Marshalls and MUCH lighter than my 2 x EL34 Hiwatts. But, the particalboard cabinet makes up for the lack of transformer weight :D .

The free flowing (true point-to-point) wiring is a bit intimidating. Do you know if there was originally a closure plate on the bottom side of the chassis? Mine is missing the back panel, which would have kept prying hands away from high voltages in some instances, but it would be more reassuring to have the circuitry completely covered.

Can you point me to any photos of the tilt back legs? Mine has the connections on the sides, but the legs are long gone.

In your opinion, should I wire up an adapter and keep using the DIN inputs or would no value be lost in converting those to 1/4" phone jacks?

Thanks again!
Dave
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby stratele52 on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:30 pm

Look with Google to see some pictures , choose Image tab

stratele52
Knight

Postby Racing on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:56 pm

Now this is the 40 in case but...

I presume you´re talking of that there right?

On the 40 it is supposed to look like that assembled.

The pics by Stratele in turn is of an actual Concord. Issue with that is there were various variations to the theme. One of them pict´ed above should be correct tho.

Yeah.....

All to familiar with how they´re put together. I honestly think you should do away with that. As much as it works the actual build mode is frowned upon by most today,and this for a reason.
Racing
Squire

Postby Racing on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:03 am

For...shall we call it educational purpose.. :lol: :mrgreen: ,a few pics of some of the older ones too.

...the minescule little Piccolo.

...the really rare highpowered Club DL. Most of these sported an EZ-81 for rectifier which limited power in a rather severe manner. This one tho one of the few that carries the GZ-34 stock ,,,,, rendering WAY higher output wattage.

As for the old defunct DIN jacks just get rid of them. Replace with regular 1/4" units and be done with it.
Racing
Squire

Postby OldSchoolDave on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:22 am

stratele52 wrote:Look with Google to see some pictures , choose Image tab

Ah, that is exactly my model of amp - thanks stratele52!

The back panel is larger than I'd thought. That would protect the exposed circuitry under the chassis. It also verifies the mesh grill on mine is original.

:cheers:

Dave
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby OldSchoolDave on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:29 am

Racing wrote:
As for the old defunct DIN jacks just get rid of them. Replace with regular 1/4" units and be done with it.

That would certainly make life easier.

So stratele52's pics were of my exact model. The solid back panel doesn't appear to provide much cooling for the tubes. Since my panel is long gone, I may do a combination of expanded metal and wood.

The schematic you posted has a solid state rectifier (if I read it correctly). Any idea what the original rectifier tube on my Concord might be (there is no tube chart)?

Dave
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Racing on Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:40 am

Mainly Suprem used GZ-34´s(5AR4) for the higher powered models.

For the lower ones normally EZ-80 and for the mid powered ones EZ-81.
Racing
Squire

Postby OldSchoolDave on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:15 am

Racing wrote:Mainly Suprem used GZ-34´s(5AR4) for the higher powered models.

I will proceed on that assumption. Thanks again!

Dave
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers