Vintage Trace Elliot TA100 value ???

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

Vintage Trace Elliot TA100 value ???

Postby Ahj on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:14 pm

Hey guys,
I have a vintage Trace TA100r Concert series (1st version) that I purchased from it's original owner in 1998. This is not my amp, but it is the same model. Image.
I gigged with it almost exclusively until about 14 months ago, at which time I switched to an AER MM200. The amp was made in England in the late 80's or early 90's and was the model designed/engineered by Clive Button before Trace was sold (for the first time) and people began to report numerous quality issues. I'm looking to sell it, but am having trouble finding out what its worth. It still sounds beautiful and is in perfect working condition. I've seen these for sale on several different sites, but the prices are all over the board, ranging from $350 - $1400. Cosmetically, it has signs of use and one of the volume knobs is missing, but other than that, it's in great shape. Would anyone here be able to recommend a good source to contact to try and have this amp appraised? Like I said, I've looked online and the prices are all across the board, with amps that appear cosmetically better than mine be cheaper than ones that look more beat than mine, so I'm kind of confused in trying to place a value on this amp. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Cheers,
Ahj
Wood:
Martin OCM-16e Maple
Parkwood PW-370m
Taylor 314ce DLX - Koa
Taylor 214cd DLX
1964 Martin Tenor Guitar
Epiphone Masterbilt

Wires:
AER MM200 Acoustic amp
Pendulum Audio SPS-1
dbx 131s Graphic EQ
REDDI Tube Direct Box
Ahj
Peasant

Re: Vintage Trace Elliot TA100 value ???

Postby Stinkfoot on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:05 am

We seem to be getting a lot of newbs lately asking members for valuations of their gear. I do not understand what difference our opinions are and how they would assist in any way.

This particular type of amp is not something that would be of any interest to us vintage fetishists,ironically as it is too recent yet has been surpassed by many innovative products in the acoustic amplification field. I should know as I have been involved in a few hard working, doing it every night outfits using electro acoustic guitars and amps for over 25 years.

Having had several Trace acoustic amps I still have the flagship Trace TA 200 stereo amp featuring 2x12" and 8x 5" speakers and made of solid rosewood. Quite a thing in the day but really heavy and not such a fantastic sound. I now use a Genz Benz Shenendoah pro lt which is the best sounding acoustic amp I have ever used and just blows all the Trace stuff I have ever had out of the water.

As I said at the beginning I do not know how we are expected to give a valuation or what use our "opinions" would be, but I think you may have answered your own question when you said you said you have seen them go between 350 and 1400.

I am afraid that like everyone else you will have to be bound by current market forces and no one has a crystal ball.
Stinkfoot
Squire

Postby Ahj on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:47 pm

Thanks for the reply Stinkfoot! However, If you re-read my original post, you'll see that I never asked for anyone on this forum if they could provide a valuation for this amp. "Would anyone here be able to recommend a good source to contact to try and have this amp appraised?" is quite a bit different than "Hey guys, can anyone here tell this 'newb' how my my amp is worth?" But thanks for the reply all the same.
Cheers,
Ahj
Wood:
Martin OCM-16e Maple
Parkwood PW-370m
Taylor 314ce DLX - Koa
Taylor 214cd DLX
1964 Martin Tenor Guitar
Epiphone Masterbilt

Wires:
AER MM200 Acoustic amp
Pendulum Audio SPS-1
dbx 131s Graphic EQ
REDDI Tube Direct Box
Ahj
Peasant

Postby stratele52 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:54 am

Ahj wrote:Thanks for the reply Stinkfoot! However, If you re-read my original post, you'll see that I never asked for anyone on this forum if they could provide a valuation for this amp. .

Title of the post ;

Vintage Trace Elliot TA100 value ??? :laff:
stratele52
Knight

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers