geloso g1/1110-a ppimv

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

Re: geloso g1/1110-a ppimv

Postby hobbits on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:31 am

Some thing like this perhaps.

Looks like a ppimv and a james network - The gain knob is behind the james network and something doable with the midranges (F.A.C.?). I like the idea of a rotary knob.
hobbits
Peasant

Postby Racing on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:36 am

From Mesa to Orange,that a rather far cry. :mrgreen:

But yeah. That there is certainly doable. The FAC control of those is rather effective too. Issue tho is that once you settle on where it needs to be..that is usually where it becomes stationary.
Something worth having in mind IMO.
Racing
Squire

Postby zjokka on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:28 pm

I'm not yet done restorating my Geloso 1040 -- but I scooped up another one at the price of a new power transformer... yeah, under €100.
Looking at the name tag, the original owner seem to have been some clowns. Looking at their history they may well have bought the amp new in the sixties. See: http://www.circusnet.info/roland.php?locale=en

I cut out the death caps and installed 3 prong and replaced some obiviosly brunt out capacitors -- I haven't had time to do much work on the amp yet, haven't powered it up yet. Did check the fuses, they are ok. There are fuses taped to this machine everywhere, inside and out. This baby has seen action... and all the original tubes are still in place. Let's pray they are ok, because at €125/piece on Ebay I am not going to buy new EL503's, hell, maybe I should just go for conversion at detailed in this page and sell the tubes especially if they are ok.

zjokka
Peasant

Postby Racing on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:35 am

Having worked with the EL-503´s (and the 504´s for that matter) many many times i just salute them.
They´re fantastic tubes and show that they are indeed part of the last development work done on tubes. Amazing in a word. Uses,as you´ve probably noticed,the half rare magnoval socket.

The Geloso 1110 in turn,you´re in for a treat.
It is one of Gelosos last tube amps and it shows. They´re put together to deliver. Sorry to say their looks don´t tell....
Be that as it may though there´s no mistaking what they´re made of. As you clean that there piece out and fire it up in running condition you´ll know what i´m talking about.

Yes. The 503´s are a nightmare to replace for your wallet. True enough,and indeed they CAN be replaced rather inexpensively. The "correct" way would be by replacing with regular,dirt cheap,old EL-36´s. A tube used rather rarely in music amps,sorry to say.
In contrast to most i´ve played around with those a bit too as they´re standard equipment for the Danish made MAX amps of which i own a bunch by now. REAL powerful,even at rather modest B+ levels. A pair of them can easily be had to deliver 80 watts handed the correct surroundings.

The "less correct" manner in which to pull it off,which IMO would be to cripple the 1110,is to just install octals and toss a set of EL-34´s at it. Many will come running crying blody murder but the mere truth is that it´ll work just fine. Power will be down though and seing that coupled with the fact that EL-36´s to this day are DIRT cheap to pick up NOS...to me it´s a no-brainer. EL-36´s 7 days a week it is...
Plate/anode connectors for them you can find dirt cheap over e-bay need be. Sockets in turn are regular octals.
Racing
Squire

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers