MAX Forty "Devil"

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

MAX Forty "Devil"

Postby Racing on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:22 am

Now...i´m half danish right..and the to my knowledge only full toobers to ever come out of Denmark is...the MAX amps.
I´ve been on the lookout for one of these for a little while,for obvious reasons i guess,and struck gold when friend Sixten here in Sweden asked me if i wanted to buy his rig.
Of course i did :mrgreen:

So. Pic courtesy Sixten (i believe he calls himself 6_10 on here)...it is with great joy n pleasure i present a MAX Forty.

How´s THAT for an oddball! :shock:
Yup. Chrome cradle n all.´N yep. Your eyes ain´t foolin´ ya. It´s a 312.

The stock cab is filled with them REAL early Celestions...but as i intend to actually USE this rig when done and as those speakers are priced like they were out of unobtanium...Sixten kept those.
They will for starters be replaced by a pair of greenbacks complemented by an Eminence Cannabis Rex.
Sort of open back as you can see but i strongly doubt that it looks the way it does with any greater portion of afterthought.

Yep. Very "Vox-y" i guess. From what i´ve gathered the bracketry for bolting the head to the cab is lacking. No sweat..as i work with metals on a daily basis (racecars..doh)

Danish design from the mid -60´s if ever i guess. That "strap"/handle ontop is chromed btw. :ROFLMAO:
Amp is claimed to have been manufactured in 1965.

The rear of it. Not especially sexy..buuut...

So. What IS a MAX Forty?
Well. In essence an EL-36 equipped amp in push/pull for a claimed 44w output power. Two channels,and then a "jump-in" for line levels.
One of the channels use a James network for tonecontrol while the other sports a Vox style stack.

Have to say. The entire build strikes me as real neat and real anal put together. Everything in its due place..order. Trafos of ample proportions..

Peculiaritys. First up speaker out is by...DIN jacks. In turn secondary impedance is set per old "philips" standards in volts. Easy enough to convert..but still. The DIN jacks tho...no. Just no.

Here and now. I plan to modify this rig into something,to me,usable. No..i will NOT drill into it,but replacing for instance jacks and what have you not...all good. Ditto for rerouting the innards of it. IMO who better to alter something danish this old..then a half dane... :lol:
I plan to keep this one so...for the better. IOW..if the desire would ever surface to put it back to bone stock...it will be doable. I for one couldn´t care less for economic worth of Plexi´s and what have you not,however when we´re into oddballs that thereby carry historic value..it is another matter,and these rigs are scarse. To say the least.
None the less they have at one point been put together for a muscian to get onstage and rock peoples asses off...and that primary focus i am to keep. Rocknroll simply looks a little different today,since Mr Hendrix et al got onstage..and in turn approx 40+yrs has passed.

From what it seems the e-lytes are by Swedish Rifa. That gentlemen brings..that for ONCE that damn ESR meter of mine might just be pointless :wink: .
As has been touched on previously here on vintageamps these unit were made in the small "semi suburb" of Copenhagen called "lille vaerloese".

Inside in turn we´re greeted by more of that "law n order" kind of attitude. Neat and inplace. Boards strikes me as being very similar to the ones also used in the Italian made FBT amps of the time.

ATM the rig is "in the mail" so to say. Hopefully it´ll show up with me before the weekend. As such..i´m going to hand it "the go over",and replace anything that looks or seems scetchy.

That said..rocknroll time fellas :jam:
Racing
Squire

Re: MAX Forty "Devil"

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:07 am

holy cow! looks quite nice! :shock:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby trobbins on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:54 am

Philips just loved using EL36/6CM5 - there were a lot of Philips PA amps in Australia based on that valve - right up to sextets. I would certainly be keen to see a schematic and details about the operating voltage levels and OT PP impedance, so as to compare with how an instrument amp was set up.

What was the general impression of guitarists with that amp Jesper?

Ciao, Tim
trobbins
Court Jester

Postby Kuli on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:44 am

Nice amp!

I have an example of the newer model from about '67 or '68 including a MAX-branded wah-wah:

I bought it from the creator of this email (follow the links to get some more MAX-info):
http://www.cykelkurt.com/post/p-e-lindegaard/p-e-lindegaard.html

I changed the ecc82 in the phase-inverter to an ecc83 and actually this amp sounds seriously good, very JTM45-like when cranked!

Nice speakers they used in those cabinets!
'66 JTM 45
'66 JTM 45/100
'68 1959T Super Tremolo
'69 1987 Lead
'69 Royal Purple 1960B basketweave
'70 4x12" Park blue basketweave
Kuli
Knight

Postby Kuli on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:52 am

I also own this cabinet:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=85651
'66 JTM 45
'66 JTM 45/100
'68 1959T Super Tremolo
'69 1987 Lead
'69 Royal Purple 1960B basketweave
'70 4x12" Park blue basketweave
Kuli
Knight

Postby Racing on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Cool as snot!! :excited:

Thing is,i presume them cabs and the amp of yours is somewhat later versions? Seing the advent of greenbacks vs the older Celestions in that 312 of the Devil.?

Now,please don´t take this the wrong way but...i´m REALLY excited about taking delivery of the rig! Point being that i do the occasional tuber ´n...takes a bit to get me to tip toe these days :mrgreen: .
This MAX tho..does. You know the old saying,"the biggest nationalist there are..are people living abroad" :lol:

Thanx for the link. Pouls story is really sweet... :D

In turn we got a fella around town here,Gothenburg,that has the exact same amp you do. Have owned it since -69. Spoke to him the other day,told him i got a hold of one too,and he got about as excited as i am.
From what i gather there IS a difference between the "MAX Forty" and the "MAX 40". The former an amp that,from what i read in the original pamphlet,developed to cater to all sorts of instrument really. However,they were marketed with a guitar next to it?

What´s more i´ve come to understand that the two models differ quite extensively both in hardparts and topology? Anything you happen to know more of?
Racing
Squire

Postby Racing on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:08 pm

@ Tim.

Your wish...is my command :wink:

http://iloapp.elegic.com/data/_gallery/public/63/142316630439545500_resized.jpg?width=1344&height=881

That´s the schematic for the "Forty" model. Ie;the one i picked up. The "40" model in turn is claimed to carry yet another topology. As for the truth of that...i guess Kuli would be the man to ask.
No idea of Ra-a for the OT thus far,but i DO on the other hand own an LCR meter and can thus measure inductance. To check turns ratio in turn...is doable.
The EL-36´s datasheet tells Ra-a to 3,5k in p/p at 300VDC. I doubt that the Ra-a of the "Forty" OT will differ much. THAT in turn also means that it would be viable to swap for EL-34´s at will.

Have fooled around a bit with "low voltage" EL-34 amps previously (Geloso g.1040 comes to mind),and TBH..they carry merit TOO. The whole proposition of that EL-34 "must" run 450VDC-500VDC to come to life simply doesn´t hold water IME. IMO it comes down to evaluating the parameters at hand and work with what you´ve got.

Only real doubt i got with that Max Forty is the concertina. I´ve played around with them to kingdom come and...have sort of BTDT and left ´em behind. Playing around with a para for instance brings much more possibilitys as far as i´m concerned,as do the LTP. Balance tho..the concertina certainly possess. No argument,but balance really is the least of worries when talking guitar amps.

Seing how things has evolved the whole idea of maximizing amount of watts...kind of becomes moot IMO. Thing is that for stage use (or rehearsal for that matter) when talking rocknroll anything more than 30w is just plain overkill.
Onstage in turn,no MATTER how large a stage,there´s PA´s to handle what´s needed as far as volume anyways.
Hence why i about as norm install PPIMV setups in most tubers i either scratchbuild or modify.

´N Tim.
As u look at that schem. Look at where the dating is...and then have a heartfelt smile as far as spelling of "forty"... :wink:
Racing
Squire

Postby trobbins on Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:45 am

Jesper, who do you think manufactured those amps - was it actually European Music Import Ltd ? It is strange that they wanted a 'non-European' model name of Max forty (or fourty) - perhaps Max Forte-y would be more French!

Mat Janssen has lots of info on Euro Philips amps. In Australia, the PA amps were nominally operated at 340/170V using the same power supply configuration, but different 6CM5 grid leak (470k) and stopper (10k), and screen stopper (47R). I idle mine at about -30V and 15mA, with the aim to keep anode dissipation lowish (5W), although it depends on how aged the valves are as they tend to run away. The 120k grid leaks should help the longevity at higher idle. A cathode resistor to check that valves are somewhat matched is well worth it.

Philips PA OT's would typically have that output voltage range. For a single pair of 6CM5 and 3.5k PP OT, those windings are likely 320R, 80R, 40R, 20R, 3.5R impedances. The feedback is also likely to be 10V. The 35V to 50V section is a nice 7.5 ohm. Although if the 25V tap can have its leads separated, then the 0-25V, and 25-50V windings can be reconfigured in parallel and make a pretty nice 16 ohm'ish output.

Ciao, Tim
trobbins
Court Jester

Postby Racing on Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:39 am

There´s been debate as far as that goes.
As a general whole very little is known of the MAX amps and it of course clouds the entire subject that the people behind them seems nowhere to be found. As stated i´m going to try n look into that. My family´s lived in Cph for ages,to the letter. (Kuli btw. We´re from Christianshavn)

Going on how the amps are put together tho..for the early amps it really points to that they were produced in country. Looking at component choice..kind of tells the story.
Some of the most expensive e-caps around are Swedish made Rifa...n guess what.. :wink: . Ditto in essence for the EL-36´s as the other country of origin that´s been on the agenda for these amps is Britain. British made musical amps using EL-36...never heard of it.

Philips...you mention Philips. Amp in case comes filled to the brim with old mustard caps. Mustards are normally linked to britain,however...they were made "en masse" by Philips. Mainly out of Eindhooven if my info is correct. These were in widespread use around the entire free European mainland,to which Denmark can certainly be counted. Philips in turn even had plants in Denmark,Sweden and Norway both (as most other pts of the world). As for the onboard blue-ish smaller e-caps...them MIGHT be Philips too in my book. Remains to be seen.

As for the dub/nomer of it...nah. See no such parallel. Denmark has always been rather international from that respect,and english truly is their second language. The misspell of "Fourty" is one thing but as a general whole seing that Denmark a maritime nation...nah. In fact this holds true for Scandinavia as a whole,the english language is in widespread use since way back.

As for the tech side of it then.
Yeah. Have worked on several older Philips made PA amps,and in fact got a few of them standing around still,and i can nothing but agree with you as far as output impedance and what have you not. Funny enough tho never run into an EL-36 equipped such.
Have owned,and modded,several and they make for real nice guitaramps when setup correctly IMO. Still got the "Monster" of them all standing around,the 6431,and have looked into how burning som voltage off-as it´s needed. Tossed the stock selenium rectifiers in the bin and replaced with silicon...flicked the switch n.....woooowsa! DMM showed 1010VDC cold... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Need to get that down to just shy of 800 hot...and have looked into using sorts of a "powerscaling" using MOSFET´s asf to make the whole thing come together. Idea of mine is for a highvoltage bassamp somewhere down the road.

I hear ya on actual component values. However. The EL-36 certainly isn´t produced anymore and although they are about in abundance...there IS a hazzle that goes sort of with it as they sure as hell can´t be found over the counter anymore. Seing the Ra-a values,the pinout asf...one might just as well substitute with EL-34´s should the need arise. It in such a scenario comes down to one wire to reroute,and TBH seing the top anode mount and the-from the looks of it,lack of rear panel that might even be a good idea right off the bat.

The 100 Ohmers heading for the screens in turn i presume are mainly there to combat RFI and EMI,per usual. IOW..they can be left in,which basically narrows it down to stopper and leaks. The 1k can certainly be left in too,and that brings that the "conversion" would entail swapping the 120k gridleaks and done deal.

If there´s one thing i´m giving real serious thought here it is to remodel the PI. Concertinas..grew out of them. They simply do not "speak" to me anymore. Boring.
Seing that..it might be just as well resetting that entire part of the amp,and a PPIMV setup is in the planning-as always,per above. The step from concertina to any of the other types of PI...certainly also brings something to the table. The driver stage for the concertina in its own rights,but any of the other types of PI used in musical amps will make the amp more versatile IMO. IF one is to keep the concertina,as it is AC hooked after all, one SERIOUSLY large gridstopper is on the agenda if the amp is to be pushed into overdrive in any form. Without they simple sound god awful. In turn the 2,2k cathode resistor in such a scenario is to small for overdrive use too and the decoupling thereof can simply be scrapped. That e-lyte is ALL a paper product with the intension of balance,which we agreed on is pointless for a guitaramp anyways...just yet another component which isn´t needed that can F up.

Yes. Regular 1 Ohmers truly does the job. I know...i know...g2 current yadda yadda yadda. It´s besides the point,and the idea here is SOME sort of reference point rather than none. I in fact install 1 Ohmers in most cust amps that come in the door as they provide a convenient testpoint for anyone out there to use. (Seing that most can´t calculate the shunt method and what have you not). The 1 Ohmers are always there n...that brings that any idiot can put the probes to it and check bias at any point in time and everywhere for that matter. What i´m saying is...better bias gets checked than not at all.

Output impedance.
I hear ya. The funny part is that in the OEM pamphlet MAX references it entirely different :mrgreen: . Who to trust in...well...let me put it this way...i´ll put my money with either the various formulas around..or Philips (again) for that matter. :wink:
Racing
Squire

Postby trobbins on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:16 am

That's interesting - what does MAX pamphlet say about output taps?

The smaller blue e-caps look the same as Philips types I have.

Mustards in general appear to have MYX or MMYX code on them, where M letter on mustards is the year quarter A=jan, feb, march, B=april, may, june etc. MM number is month number. Y is year in decade. X is a manufacturer code of some kind ("N" may be British made; "W" likely Dutch; "H" likely Australia).

Mat has details on the EL6472 which is effectively the topic by opcom http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/234571-unholtz-dickie-amp-4-1000s.html. That one is another 'monster'.

There may be enough gain to change to LTP PI, as the amp dumps a fair bit, so that sounds like a good path.

We have large number of NOS 6CM5 always available on ebay for a few $ in Australia, as they were a common in TVs here.
trobbins
Court Jester

Postby Racing on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:32 am

Racing
Squire

Postby trobbins on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:58 am

Ahhhh - thanks. That implies it is 3k PP OT :)

Which indicates that reconfiguring the windings on either side of the 25V tap would end up with a nice 16 ohm output using 50% of the available secondary turns. That would be a pretty good outcome for a PA OT.
trobbins
Court Jester

Postby Racing on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:38 pm

Right. The mailman always rings twice.

First impression is...it is a real compact build. None of that Marshall JMP "larger than anything" BS. Compact and to the point. ´N all in neat order.

Sixten was kind enough to even supply extra EL-36´s as well as the stock 83´s... Those in there had all been on a tubetester and their respective values was written on the glass.

Yep. Indeed. Rifa. You of little faith...try google what a set of those will run ya. Yep. Made in Sweden,and if you´re in it for the long run...worth every penny. Please. Just..please. Take to heart that these were made in 1965. They to this day...measure as were they new. To the letter. Cheap tho..they´re not :wink: .

Shields for the preamp tubes in turn are of the same variety you find in certain Hagstroem amps. (amongst others)

British made...kiss my... "Dana-matic transformer og ensretterfabrik A/S". The word "ensretter" in danish basically means diode. British made? Danish wound transformers and Swedish made e-lytes? Think again.

The cab then. This...really really odd sized cab.

Well. First up the rear panel is truly BOLTED in place. Them fellas right there are OVERSIZE to say the least.

Speaker cutouts in turn sports sort of diffusors. Much like the German Hohners do.

´N this is what it looks like on the inside of the carrying "recess".

In turn. The cab resides in a chromed cradle right. Idea is that you shall incline the cab n amp to whatever angle. That brings that the actual amp needs to be bolted to the cab,and the bungs for that looks like this.
That said...yep. Cab is out of particle board.

Cab is...odd sized. 900mm wide by 600mm high by 250mm deep. IOW..it´s rather shallow. Hmm... Haven´t had the best of experiences with shallow cabs before,but am also aware of that there´s remedies for that...worst case scenarios.

The great thing about this rig,to me,is that it´s all there. Knobs are intact as is faceplate as is...aso aso aso. Text in english..again... :lol: . Can´t win ´em all i guess!

Ya know... German "ordnung". Yeah. Might be. Scandinavia is a little like that too,just with leeway. Kind of..rolling with the hits. In this case tho..electricity is serious business. So..."ordnung".

So. Like stated. Stock speakers might be worth a f-in fortune. WGAFF,this will be about aestetics and performance. Ergo... :wink:

10 Ohmers had been installed for the powertubes cathodes. Will replace that with 1 Ohmers. Call me anal...but..nah. 10 Ohms at the voltages we´re talking here is to much in my book when talking fixed bias.

As i fired her up and tried her out it turned out that the volume pot for the Vox stack channel was shot. Took that apart,retensioned the wipers,cleaned it out n...presto...like new.

Albeit stock lookin..the amp has been worked on. As such a cathode cap had been installed to the stage of the Vox stack channel that should not sport one...aso. As a whole tho..untouched. Hit each solderjoint with the pen,some of them looking more frosty then god intended.

Ah! Main e-lytes. That there..simply won´t cut it. So....

First up,these amps do NOT comply to "the golden rule" and as they need to...adressed that. So..i actually drilled into the chassis with a 3mm drillbit and installed yet another solderlug for the bridge negative and the grounding of the first hit e-lyte to use by themselves. In turn...OCD...anal...call it whatever the F you want...i like 90deg angles when doing what i do. I like to see,and foresee,what can and can not happen..and for the most part order indeed IS the ticket. :mrgreen:

Then....

Schem calls for 320VDC under load. Guess not!! :lol: :lol: . 220VAC wound PT or not..that there is a FAR cry from them 320VDC!! ´N...yep. Screens dialed in at just shy of 200VDC,so..we´re on the mark as far as that goes.

So. That said. What it sound like?
Nuuuaaaaat so hot TBH. In stock form...please have in mind that it was made in -65. Before Mr Hendrix asf jumped onstage. The concertina,as is,surely being part of the issue.
No matter the channel...

So. Took to first up rewiring the mastercontrol to dig in between the actual concertina and it´s driver stage. In turn i handed the concertina a 470k stopper...fired her up ´n let her rip.

No. Just..no. Jagged n ugly. The James network channel in turn came to compress the living daylights out of its stages. So...time to fall back and regroup boys.

I WILL make this MAX into the one that howls...hardcore. Just trust me on that :wink:
Racing
Squire

Postby Racing on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:44 pm

Right. Gentlemen. As it turns out someone in the know had modified this amp quite severly previously. The "Vox" stack had been reset to yet another James network,and various bits n pieces had been added as well as taken out.
That there then a snapshot of the rear of the faceplate. As much as order rules around the rest of the amp that there simply strikes me as clustered,for lack of better words.
As for two James networks or not...you tell me. I know the James and know it well,and sorry to say most techs don´t. I for one believe that is one of the prime reasons as to why it isn´t in more widespread use in guitaramps.
However..this is to be my own rig. The one i´m gonna haul around at gigs and what have you not,and as such diversity rules. Ergo,it might be a good idea with a Vox style stack as opposing to a James.?
OTOH...the James is SO versatile. It can basically be set up to perform whatever,and normally with a sweep regular stacks could only dream of.

Well. Future´ll tell i guess. One thing´s for certain and that is that that rats nest right there is a no-go in my book. HELL no even!

Amp had been moded. Fine and cool enough. That there small fibreglass plate holds the two axial trimpots in place to adjust bias. Of course they´re not stock,but to add insult to injury the plate in itself is sturdy enough alright...it´s just that the two trimpots are soldered to a lug underneath them by their minescule component legs. That´s all that holds that contraption in place,and of COURSE it doesn´t suffice! One sharp blow as you haul the amp around and it´ll be dead in the water with powertubes launching into orbit in lack of bias voltage.

That said...

The add-ons here don´t really help either do they. Hm

´N this in turn is where bias voltage enters the tagboard as do heatervoltage.

Well. Sometimes the cumbersome way is the right way so...

Out the tagboard came. As such i was handed all the room in the world to tidy up around the sockets. 1 Ohmers indeed to the place of them 10 Ohm resistors and in turn the wire for ground was rerouted while at it.

Designwise..for some reason the PI sees 100uF and then in turn there´s all in all 4 triodes haning on that last node. As to why,i have no idea. So...separate that alright. Absolutely.

Right. Out the tagboard came and as you can see the bias setup was replaced with a WAY more sturdy setup. In turn it was all cleaned from old solder,washed in alcohol and in turn setup as flying lead. It is always a good idea to go flying lead when you can as it hands you way better control of the joints as you work on the board out of chassis.
Ýep. Lotsa components were indeed replaced.

Board out it was a rather easy task cleaning the rest of the chassis out too. Now..these amps as stated do NOT comply to the golden rule,and of course they need to,but what´s more they also don´t keep shield,signal ground and powerground apart. As i intend to...that there single strand between the centers of the noval sockets was installed to...be able to solder shields to it. A simple way of keep the entire enchillada clean to the looks,and hence easier to follow as far as logic of the setup.

The concertina was out. I´ve had enough of them and..that made me ponder what my needs were. It ended up becoming a regular longtailed pair phaseinverter instead.

´N here ya see the benefit of going flying lead. While at it i routinely replace the old single strand wires with multistrand such. Reason is simple,multistrand wire simply withstands vibrations better. I do this routinely in many amps i work on. Cheap n effective insurance.

That...was where i closed the book yesterday.
Racing
Squire

Postby Racing on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:56 pm

Well. After a couple of hrs work today..this is what i had to show. WAY more neat and WAY more presentable-IMO at least.
Basically it was all reset...that there as far as pots and components and in turn wiring. I decided to go with two James setups btw..setup differently vs each other.

I think this pics shows rather well how the amp evolved while underways so to say. The shields are grounded at that solderlug bolted to the fastener for the preamp tagboard.

Sorry to say my vendor is out of PPIMV pots. However it´s all prepared to take one. That upright soldersupport is one scavenged from an old Philips fwiw.
Gridresistor values was reset for a different "knee" freq and load wise. Bias in turn was easy as pie to dial in. As is this thing idles cold at approx 36mA@ about sharp 400VDC.

´N yep. She´s up n running alright!! So?
What she sound like?
Wow fellas! Just...wow! Now. In the bands where i play guitar we focus on sort of "old school" rocknroll a´la the AC/DC genre. Sorta... That brings that i normally don´t use behemoth amounts of distortion and..well..
This,as is,is a two stager right-for each channel that is. The two channels are hardwired vs each other,and that of course brings that you loose out on some of the involved amplitude.
No matter.
Sound is always hard in tex form,but imagine a really GOOD really OLD JMP..Plexi even. Just with a way more "open" attitude. The flipside of it is..the lack of a PPIMV ´cause seing the mere 2pcs of EL-36..DAAAAAAAAYYYYYYUUUUUUM this thing is loud!!!
I actually tried making a few clips with my Sony Z1 cell...but nah. WAY to loud for it to keep up. Sorry lads..but OTOH rest assured that a clip or two is coming!

That 312 cab with the greenback/cannabis mix..Wow! Just ...WOW! It works THAT well. Really really defined low and superlow mids. Punchy even.

Let to breathe this thing sounds and plays nothing short of amazing! Happy? Oh yeah! U bet!

Now. This does NOT conclude this saga. I´ve got way more up my sleeve that will be implemented.. :nutjob: :excited:
Last edited by Racing on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racing
Squire

Next

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers